The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can I Attend Board Meeting?

Guest Madison

The bylaws of my group's foundation allows for all members to attend the annual meeting of the Board of Directors.  In recent years, we setup our bylaws so that all members pay dues to the Foundation.  There are financial members who think that all members should be allowed to attend any meeting that the board holds (even if it's only to act as an observer).  The bylaws can only be updated by the board members. Does Roberts Rules speak to rules that should apply to nonprofits? Can members be barred from meetings (I think yes, if it's not specifically address)?

If the bylaws say all members can attend the annual meeting of the Board of Directors - and they also define specifically an annual meeting of the Board of Directors (as opposed to regular meetings of the board) - then it would seem that that is the only board meeting members are automatically granted a right to attend. As Mr Huynh stated, the board can always permit members to attend other board meetings.

13 hours ago, Bruce Lages said:

If the bylaws say all members can attend the annual meeting of the Board of Directors - and they also define specifically an annual meeting of the Board of Directors (as opposed to regular meetings of the board) - then it would seem that that is the only board meeting members are automatically granted a right to attend.

What?

13 minutes ago, Gary c Tesser said:

What?

He said "If the bylaws say all members can attend the annual meeting of the Board of Directors - and they also define specifically an annual meeting of the Board of Directors (as opposed to regular meetings of the board) - then it would seem that that is the only board meeting members are automatically granted a right to attend."

1 minute ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

then it would seem that that is the only board meeting members are automatically granted a right to attend."

and more specifically:

2 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

the only board meeting members

Great Steaming Cobnuts, I thought he meant "board meeting members" (whatever they are, as distinguished from board members); if he had said "board meeting that members" -- clearly introducing a clause - I wouida got it.

2 minutes ago, Gary c Tesser said:

Great Steaming Cobnuts, I thought he meant "board meeting members" (whatever they are, as distinguished from board members); if he had said "board meeting that members" -- clearly introducing a clause - I wouida got it.

I'm happy that my careful explanation of what he said was of assistance.

16 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I'm happy that my careful explanation of what he said was of assistance.

You probably think that's a joke, but actually it's not. In fact, sometimes after you agree with a post of mine, I'll go back and reread it myself in the hopes of learning something, once I know that it's correct. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.