The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member voting via email

torquejunkie

I am the president of our POA and during one of our board meetings it was presented and voted on to submit the proposed bylaws to the members to adopt or reject.

We have no bylaws in place at this time. 

The motion passed and was put on the agenda for the next meeting.

Now one of board members has sent out an email to the members calling for a vote prior to the meeting.

This was done with out my knowledge and approval.  I only learned of it when I received the email.

My name was omitted from the document.

Please give me insight to the proper actions to take and how to handle this type of actions.

Base on this information can I as the president, Stop the voting process.

I found on toastmaster a thread that stated a second is not require if the resolution passed a committee.

Would this apply?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

How is there an organization if there are no bylaws? Who are the members? How could you be president?

I appreciate your questions, but such organizations do exist.  Many of them.  Very many of them.  Probably thousands of them. Maybe hundreds of thousands.  We might  say they "don't exist" without bylaws, etc, but try telling them that they don't exist when they have been having meetings, electing officers, collecting dues and doing things. . . sometimes for years!  :)

We are a new fairly new POA.  I came into this position trying to get things in order. I do agree with you on your points but it does not help me resolve this issue.

The subject of bylaws are rather irrelevant as I see it regarding my question.  It just happens to be the subject matter.

How should the board members handle board members that send out emails calling for a vote without the entire board being notified that such action was going to be taken?

What according to RRO is the proper way to handle this issue.

18 minutes ago, torquejunkie said:

What according to RRO is the proper way to handle this issue.

RONR (the correct abbreviation for "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised") provides that unless your bylaws provide differently, votes can be taken only at properly held meetings.  I am at a loss as to what this "taking a vote before the meeting" is all about.  That is not how things are done.  Business is conducted at meetings... meetings which are properly called or scheduled. 

Without bylaws, you are in a sort of no man's land with very little guidance as to what you can do and how to do it.  You do need bylaws asap, and I understand that adopting bylaws is exactly what you are trying to do.

Based on what you have said so far, in my opinion notice has been given that the adoption of bylaws will be taken up at the next meeting.  That is the appropriate way to do it.  This business of one member trying  to have some kind of vote outside of a meeting or at a meeting where the bylaws cannot properly be taken up is nonsense. There are many reasons, not the least of which is that ALL members must be sent notices and that no one member has the right to demand a vote on something.... especially outside of a meeting.

I suggest VERY STRONGLY that you get a copy of either the 11th edition of RONR (the current edition) or a copy of RONR in Brief.  Here is a link to RONR:  http://robertsrules.com/book.html

Here is a link to RONR in Brief:  http://robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

You can find both books in good bookstores and also on Amazon.  In Brief is around $7 on Amazon and in bookstores and is very easy to read and is an excellent primer for people unfamiliar with parliamentary procedure.   RONR is around $12 to $14 on Amazon (I haven't checked lately...the price fluctuates) and retails for about $19 in bookstores.

Another good book for beginners" is "Robert's Rules for Dummies" by C. Alan Jennings.  The third edition was just published a few months ago. It's around $15 on Amazon, slightly more in bookstores.  Note:  Is is a book ABOUT RONR and should not be used as a parliamentary authority.  It is a great help, however, in understanding the rules in RONR, which is over 700 pages and rather technical.

Edited to add:  Both RONR and "Robert's Rules for Dummies" have chapters on forming new organizations and adopting bylaws.  RONR in brief is more about how to properly conduct business in existing organizations and does not have a chapter on forming a new organization or adopting bylaws.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Voting by e-mail is not permitted under the rules in RONR, unless your bylaws provide that it is, and since you have no bylaws, I suspect that's not the case.

Also, if the rules in RONR apply, you cannot specify in advance that the membership's only options are to approve or reject the bylaws.  The membership has the right to debate and amend motions on the floor, refer them to a committee, and a variety of other options.

I strongly second the suggestion that you get yourself a copy of RONR, 11th edition, as well as RONR in Brief. I also urge you, as soon as you get RONR,  to read carefully Section 54 on p. 553, entitled 'Organization of a Permanent Society'. It has much valuable information regarding how to firmly establish your new POA, in particular by adopting the necessary organizational governing documents such as bylaws.

5 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

How is there an organization if there are no bylaws? Who are the members? How could you be president?

5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I appreciate your questions, but such organizations do exist.  Many of them.  Very many of them.  Probably thousands of them. Maybe hundreds of thousands.  We might  say they "don't exist" without bylaws, etc, but try telling them that they don't exist when they have been having meetings, electing officers, collecting dues and doing things. . . sometimes for years!  :)

Hieu didn't say the organization doesn't exist; he asked how there is an organization if there are no bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.