The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescind or reverse ormodify a previously passed motion

Jayadev

Our board of trustees passed a motion not to appoint spouses of Executive committee members as chairs of committees.

Within 6 days president is calling for a special board meeting to rescind or revisit the motion . To do this how much majority we need? How many days notice is enough? How for we can amend or modify the previously passed motion ?

Thanks in advance.

To rescind or amend a motion previously adopted requires previous notice and a majority vote or, without previous notice a two thirds vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.  (In this case, that would be the membership of the board).  However, it sounds to me like this is a rule of order.   If so, it requires previous notice AND a two thirds vote or, in the alternative, the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  Since this is a board, it might be easier to get the votes of a majority of the entire membership than to get a two thirds vote, especially if all members generally attend the meetings.

The 11th edition of RONR discusses amending and rescinding something previously adopted on pages 305-310.

Edited to add:  You might also take a look at this very recent thread:  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/29259-procedural-manual-updates/

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

To rescind or amend a motion previously adopted requires previous notice and a majority vote or, without previous notice a two thirds vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.  (In this case, that would be the membership of the board).  However, it sounds to me like this is a rule of order.   If so, it requires previous notice AND a two thirds vote or, in the alternative, the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  Since this is a board, it might be easier to get the votes of a majority of the entire membership than to get a two thirds vote, especially if all members generally attend the meetings.

The 11th edition of RONR discusses amending and rescinding something previously adopted on pages 305-310.

Edited to add:  You might also take a look at this very recent thread:  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/29259-procedural-manual-updates/

I request more details on this interpretation please. How do I prove this is a rule of order  

3 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Do your bylaws authorize special meetings? If so, the notice of the motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted could be included in the call of such a meeting.

Yes our bylaws authorize special meetings.

19 hours ago, jay said:

Our board of trustees passed a motion not to appoint spouses of Executive committee members as chairs of committees.

Within 6 days president is calling for a special board meeting to rescind or revisit the motion . To do this how much majority we need? How many days notice is enough? How for we can amend or modify the previously passed motion ?

It's not clear to me that this motion was validly adopted in the first place. How were the committees in question established?

19 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I think we need to know how the committees were established in order to know what sort of rule would be required to establish qualifications for the committees' chairmen.

16 hours ago, jay said:

I request more details on this interpretation please. How do I prove this is a rule of order  

We need to know how these committees were established. If your rules already say anything on the subject of qualifications for committee chairmen, that would also be useful information.

16 hours ago, jay said:

Yes our bylaws authorize special meetings.

Your bylaws should specify how many days of notice are required for a special meeting. The notice of the motion to rescind would be included in the notice for the special meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.