The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting by email

Guest Kathy

And if it is allowed by your bylaws, you will have to determine for yourselves how to do it. RONR does not give any guidance on email voting. You should have such rules already in place. If you don't, and if you are going to allow email voting, you need to get some procedures in place ASAP.

• 1 month later...

If I may add my own question under this thread as it's similar, my organizations bylaws do not allow voting by email. I am newer to the board and pointed this out when a vote was initiated via email and was told that since it was done in the past, even if mistakingly, it is now procedure and hence is now a rule and is allowed as Policies and procedures supersedes Roberts. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest45 said:

Policies and procedures supersedes Roberts.

Nope, not so.   Merely doing something (as opposed to adopting a rule or bylaw provision to authorize it) just initiates a "Custom"  --  see page 19.  The custom "falls to the ground" and the written rule (RONR's prohibition, in your case) takes precedence when a point of order is raised.

Which introduces a little problem for you.  You will have to go to a Board meeting to actually raise the point of order, or get a friend who agrees with you (as all right-thinking people should) to do so at a meeting.  Complaining outside of meetings doesn't hack it.

2 hours ago, Guest Guest45 said:

If I may add my own question under this thread as it's similar, my organizations bylaws do not allow voting by email. I am newer to the board and pointed this out when a vote was initiated via email and was told that since it was done in the past, even if mistakingly, it is now procedure and hence is now a rule and is allowed as Policies and procedures supersedes Roberts. Thoughts?

That's rubbish.

Special Rules of Order supersede RONR, as do the rules in your bylaws.  But policies and procedures that violate your bylaws (which by inclusion means RONR as well), in fact any motions that conflict with the bylaws are null and void.

And new rules cannot be created simply by breaking existing rules.

Custom carries weight as long as it does not violate existing rules.  But custom falls to the ground in the face of a written rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.