The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Keeping recorded board meetings

Guest Sharon

If the secretary records the board meeting via tape recording is there a time frame within which she has to erase that recording?.The secretary for our board  says that she is under the impression that once we have another meting where the minutes of the last meeting are accepted she has to erase those recording of that meeting.

4 minutes ago, Guest Sharon said:

If the secretary records the board meeting via tape recording is there a time frame within which she has to erase that recording?.The secretary for our board  says that she is under the impression that once we have another meting where the minutes of the last meeting are accepted she has to erase those recording of that meeting.

RONR contains no rule regarding this.  The book only notes a recording may be useful to the secretary and that the recording may not be used as the minutes themselves, but other than that there is no guidance.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:35 AM, Guest Sharon said:

There is no rule in RONR either way.  If the secretary is using her own recorder for her own convenience, she can do with her personal property what she wishes.

If the board wants to set a standing rule establishing a retention policy for these recordings, it may do so, but I think it will need to provide the recorder, in order to consider the recordings its property.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:58 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

If the secretary is using her own recorder for her own convenience, she can do with her personal property what she wishes.

You seem to be assuming that the content of the recording becomes the personal property of the secretary merely because the recording device it was made on is the personal property of the secretary. I think there is a legal question as to whether that assumption is valid. And obviously she is using it for her own convenience in carrying out the duties of the office, not her own personal convenience in general.

That is what I presume, at least as a starting point.  If the secretary brings her own recording device for her convenience in taking minutes, then until someone makes some claim to the contrary, it's her property.

I'm not saying the society has no claim that it could assert regarding ownership of the recording, but unless and until it has passed some rule about it, and made the secretary aware of the rule, I don't think it can force the secretary to provide, preserve, or even delete copies of the recordings.  It could, of course, prohibit her from making the recordings in the first place.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.