The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amend Main Motion, While Voting is Happening.

Unrealz

No, not according to RONR.  No interruption is permitted once voting has begun.  However, after the vote is completed, a member who voted on the prevailing side can move to reconsider the motion.  If the assembly agrees to reconsider the motion by a majority vote, the original motion is back before the assembly and can then be amended and re-adopted.

Edited to add:  You can also use the motion "Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted" to fix a problem with the original motion.  To do it at the same meeting at which the original motion was adopted, or at any meeting without previous notice, the motion requires a two thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  If previous notice of the motion is given at the previous meeting or in the call of the meeting, it can be adopted with a majority vote.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

• 1 year later...

We have a similar situation.  The vote has already begun (electronically) but two members feel the wording of the motion is not clear.  I feel the wording is very clear, but their questions have basically halted this vote.  I can let them know that the voting can not be stopped.  However, then what?

If this vote passes, I can see that we would use "Amend Something Previously Adopted" to clarify the motion.  What would be used if the vote is lost?  As I understand it, a motion is improper if it is practically the same as one previously decided.

Edited by Deb Parm

2 hours ago, Deb Parm said:

We have a similar situation.  The vote has already begun (electronically) but two members feel the wording of the motion is not clear.  I feel the wording is very clear, but their questions have basically halted this vote.  I can let them know that the voting can not be stopped.  However, then what?   (Emphasis added)

If this vote passes, I can see that we would use "Amend Something Previously Adopted" to clarify the motion.  What would be used if the vote is lost?  As I understand it, a motion is improper if it is practically the same as one previously decided.

4 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

You use of "electronically" changes things.  RONR's "no interruptions" rule applies to in-meeting votes.. Electronic, presumably absentee, voting has to be authorized in the bylaws, accompanied by appropriate rules. 

I agree with Dr. Stackpole.  Once your introduce electronic voting, you are essentially on your own and must promulgate your own rules for dealing with all the problems surrounding it. 

16 hours ago, Deb Parm said:

As I understand it, a motion is improper if it is practically the same as one previously decided.

Well, specifically, the rule is that a motion is improper if it is practically the same as one previously decided within the same session. A member is free to renew the motion at a later session. In most societies, a session is generally a single meeting.

How these rules apply in this context is not clear.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.