The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Jean Marie

We have a small organization - only 650 members.  Our bylaws state that we must have a president, vice president and others.  It also states that vacancies in office are filled by appointment by the president with approval of the BOD.  Our vice president has resigned due to extreme illness (terminal).  There is only one person who will take on the job of vice president and I cannot get a majority vote of the BOD for approval.  What do I do now????  How long can this position remain vacant?  The end of the current term is July, 2017.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Jean Marie

1. The president can talk to (armtwist) the board members in advance and try to convince themm there is no alternative. . . No other choice.

2. Challenge the board members to come up with someone if they don't like the president's choice. 

3. Name someone else. People may initially not volunteer or even decline, but will step up to the plate once they realize they are really wanted or needed. It's sort of like electing someone to an office when that person is not at the meeting. He may not have wanted the job, but once he learns he has been elected anyway, he will usually agree to do it.

3 hours ago, Guest Jean Marie said:

Our vice president has resigned due to extreme illness (terminal).  

There is only one person who will take on the job of vice president and I cannot get a majority vote of the BOD for approval.  

What do I do now?

How long can this position remain vacant?  

The end of the current term is July, 2017.  

If you have a position which nobody wants, or have a candidate which no one will vote for, then you may have to resign yourself (no pun intended) to going the whole term without that given position filled.

You may be forced to delegate the duties of that office to other officers, or to other committees.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.