The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is an Election considered Business

Guest Beech Richards

The help and patience of the forum has been wonderful, and I'm very thankful for that.  I do have one other question, that I believe allows me to connect all the dots I've been given.

In order for there to be an election, is it necessary for there to be a motion? 

I'm being told, "this was an election, so only the election and voting rules apply."  There seems to be a belief in my organization that an election does not require (and, actually revokes) motions, etc.

George has offered a lot of assistance, but they're telling me "there wasn't a motion to nominate because elections don't have motions."

thank you!

8 hours ago, Guest Beech Richards said:

The help and patience of the forum has been wonderful, and I'm very thankful for that.  I do have one other question, that I believe allows me to connect all the dots I've been given.

I'm being told, "this was an election, so only the election and voting rules apply."  There seems to be a belief in my organization that an election does not require (and, actually revokes) motions, etc.

George has offered a lot of assistance, but they're telling me "there wasn't a motion to nominate because elections don't have motions."

thank you!

Yes, an election is a special kind of motion, and is usually assumed, because it is required by the rules.  Effectively the motion is that ______ be elected to the office of _____.   Nominations are a method of filling the blanks in that motion, except that the suggestions remain available at the time of the final vote on the motion.

20 hours ago, Guest Beech Richards said:

I'm being told, "this was an election, so only the election and voting rules apply."  

There seems to be a belief in my organization that an election does not require (and, actually revokes) motions, etc.

Beware: Do not confuse apples and oranges.

Elections (the simple kind) need no motions at all.

The action(s) are closer to being "administrative" than anything else, because, while there is voting, but there is no need for the phrase "I move ____", nor the need for seconds, nor the need for debate.

>> "This was an election, so only the election and voting rules apply."

Beware: There can be motions made during an election.

Example:

• To re-open nominations.

• To close nominations

• To vote by a different means (e.g., to go from "raising hands" to "a secret ballot").

• To suspend the rules and allow debate (a "candidates forum" is really what I refer to).

• To appoint a tellers committee.

• To fix the hour of casting ballots; and to fix the location of the ballot box.

>> "There wasn't a motion to nominate because elections don't have motions."

That can be true. Not always true. But often enough to be a general rule of thumb.

Thus the "apples vs. oranges" warning. -- Motions are possible. But sometimes, no motions are the norm.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.