The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committees

Guest Mari

Article IX, section 49: A Committee is a body of one or more persons appointed or elected by an assembly or society to consider, or investigate, or take action in regard to, certain matters or subjects, or to do all of these things.

This is where I'm confused. It doesn't specify that the person appointed or elected has to be a member, but it seems to imply it. Are there any other articles that give additional clarification?

8 minutes ago, Guest Mari said:

Article IX, section 49: A Committee is a body of one or more persons appointed or elected by an assembly or society to consider, or investigate, or take action in regard to, certain matters or subjects, or to do all of these things.

This is where I'm confused. It doesn't specify that the person appointed or elected has to be a member, but it seems to imply it. Are there any other articles that give additional clarification?

From page 492 of RONR:  "It is possible for persons who are not members of the assembly or the society to be appointed to committees—even to the position of committee chairman—but control over each such appointment is reserved to the assembly in the individual case. "  

What does your citation come from?  I'm guessing that it comes from the online version of Robert's Rules of Order, which is the 4th edition that was published in, I believe, 1915---- over 100 years ago!   We are now in the 11th edition..  I suggest you get a copy.  :-)    http://robertsrules.com/book.html

Guest Mari, since you apparently do not  yet have a copy of the current 11th edition, I will quote here from the bottom of page 174 and the top of page 175 regarding the appointment of the members of a special committee by the chair, per the reference Chris Harrison made:

"NAMING MEMBERS TO A SPECIAL COMMITTEE. A standing or special committee may include, or even have as its chairman, one or more persons who are not members of the assembly or the society; but if the chair appoints the committee, the names of all such nonmembers being [page 175] appointed must be submitted to the assembly for approval, unless the bylaws or the motion to appoint the committee specifically authorizes the presiding officer to appoint nonmembers (see also pp. 492–93, 495–96)."  (Emphasis added)

Pay attention to the highlighted part:  If the assembly names non members to a committee, no other "permission" is needed since it is the assembly itself naming the non members.  However, if the chair alone is making the appointments and names any non members to serve on the committee, those names must be approved by the assembly.

19 minutes ago, Guest Mari said:

Sorry, forgot to add...would a non-member be appointed as an ex-officio? The info in the section 32 under Article V on "To Commit or Refer" seems to imply nominations for committees from the floor name members to the post...

No.  People specifically named to serve on a committee are not ex-officio.  They are full  fledged members just like everyone else specifically named to the committee.   Committees may be appointed (filled) by several methods:  appointment by the chair, nomination by the chair with approval by the assembly, named in the motion creating the committee, or separately elected to the committee after it is created, for example.  Again, get yourself the 11th edition.  It's around $12 or $13 from Amazon, $19 or so in bookstores.  :)

Edited to add:  BTW, the current edition is not available on line.  The 1915 edition is on line only because its copyright has expired.  I

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

6 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

People specifically named to serve on a committee are not ex-officio

I think the estimable Mr Brown was referring to non-member people , given his next sentence.

They are full  fledged members just like everyone else

I think the inestimable Mr Brown does mean that they are, specifically, full-fledged members of the committee, without having become members of the full organization.

It's around $12 or $13 from Amazon, $19 or so in bookstores.

Sure, don't spend a couple of bucks more to support your neighbors and and independent entrepreneurship in America (and other places); just click a few buttons and further swell the coffers of Amazon and the other six companies that own half of the world's money. 

Thank you all for your help. Yes, I must admit, I clicked on an online copy, though I don't know what edition it was. I have a printed copy that I bought when I was a union rep in 1997, but it has been lost somewhere in the basement for some time. (I'm guessing that the 11th edition was issued after 1997...?) Sorry if my online research offended anyone; just had a pressing issue with an organization that needed a quicker answer than a trip to the bookstore would solve. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Guest Mari said:

Sorry if my online research offended anyone

Nothing to be sorry for, especially as parliamentarians (and aspiring parliamentarians like me) are legendarily, even, dare we say it, iconically, easy-going, equable, well-adjusted (look at Mr Honemann's impeccable suit!), imperturbable, infallibly cheery and uncommonly good-looking (look at Chris Harrison's picture). 

I myself just googled "Robert's Rules of Order," and this website did not appear in the first ten listings (although it's some comfort to see Rod Davidson's website right up there).  So what else can be expected?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.