The Official RONR Q & A Forums

House rules

Data2017

RONR pg. 486, ll. 13-19 states:

GENERAL PROCEDURE. The executive board of an organized society operates under the society's bylaws, the society's parliamentary authority, and any special rules of order or standing rules of the society which may be applicable to it. Such a board may adopt its own special rules of order or standing rules only to the extent that such rules do not conflict with any of the rules of the society listed above. 

It sounds like what you're talking about is board procedures.  Boards can adopt such rules for themselves.  If the board wanted to make rules for the society, that power would have to be in the bylaws.  Certainly, though, there's no need to clutter the bylaws with such standing rule as policies on writing checks.  

On 1/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, Data2017 said:

Can the board of directors create rules for themselves? Example, make a rule that not one person cannot write checks for themselves.

Maybe it's not particularly relevant to what I believe is the question being asked, but i am completely unable to wrap my brain around what is meant by "a rule that not one person cannot write checks for themselves". 

Does that mean that if the rule is adopted, everyone can write checks for (or to) themselves???:o :wacko:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.