The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Postpone annual meeting

Guest Dorothy

No rule in RONR permits them to do this, and unless your bylaws do you can simply ingore the announcement.

Everyone should meet at the appointed date and time and if the president and vice president aren't there, the Secretary or another member should call the meeting to order, If the assembly wishes to set the time for an adjourned meeting (a meeting at a future time before the next regular meeting) they can, by majority vote.  If not, they can elect pro-tem officers and conduct the required business assuming a quorum is present.

Edited by George Mervosh
added the last 5 words.

5 hours ago, Guest Dorothy said:

Our church leadership told us that our annual meeting has been postponed indefinitely. The bylaws require the time for the meeting. What do we say in response?

Thank you for your response. When I mention bylaws, the same leadership is starting to assert their version is the correct ones (even though they have yet to produce them). I am concerned that the recordkeeping is not as good as it should be. Any suggestions in this sort of issue?

Her records show bylaws amended as of a certain date. The minutes are available but are not signed by the secretary. The thumb drive she provided us shows the date the files were created but that is all. By the way, the secretary resigned in December.

If we cannot come to a consensus, would the church membership need to vote on the bylaws again? 

Page 453, lines 3 - 9.   "If neither the president nor any vice president is present, the secretary -- or in the Secretary's absence some other member -- should call the meeting to order, and the assembly should immediately elect a chairman pro tem to preside during that session. Such office is terminated by the entrance of the president or a vice president. . . . "

9 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Page 453, lines 3 - 9.   "If neither the president nor any vice president is present, the secretary -- or in the Secretary's absence some other member -- should call the meeting to order, and the assembly should immediately elect a chairman pro tem to preside during that session. Such office is terminated by the entrance of the president or a vice president. . . . "

Would you please give me the section number since I will look it up online. Thank you again

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.