The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board chairman

Guest Esther

Good evening. This is my first visit so please excuse any errors I may make. We have a circumstance of a church board chairman at a board meeting verbally stating he was resigning giving a date in the future. He then sent a letter to the pastor giving his resignation immediately. That was conveyed to the congregation and his position was filled by consent of the congregation and board members present. Now he is saying he is revoking the resignation as his letter was not read in full and approved by the board. There is no provision at all for resignation in the by laws. I did read FAQ but need clarification. Thank you.

Electing someone else to the position amounts to an acceptance of the resignation, but I question whether this happened in a proper meeting of the proper body. I'm especially troubled by the statement that it was "filled by consent of the congregation and the board members present". 

So, I have the same question as Guest Who's Coming to Dinner: who (what  body) is responsible for electing the chairman (or filling the vacancy) and what body was meeting?

The congregation elects the board. I should clarify that the resignation was announced and then a special meeting called where his seat was filled. It was a matter of someone offering to take the chair and then the congregation agreed and voted by a raise of hands.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.