The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-member motion in Voting

Guest Dan

At a meeting last night which consisted of members as well as non-member and non-voting advisors, we elected new officers.  Nominations were asked from the group and received.  For each nomination, a motion of support was asked followed by asking for a second.  The new officers were elected.

The next day, the person drafting the minutes realized that an individual who was not a member (instead classified as an advisor) of our group had voiced a motion of support for the lone candidate for Chair.  An actual member then voiced as seconding that motion.  When we elected Vice Chair, the same non-member voiced a second in support for this lone candidate's nomination after a legitimate member voiced first motion of support.  So, an actual member did have say at some point in the nomination proceedings.  This was a complete accident on the non-member's behalf, and on our behalf for not recognizing his "illegal" motion at the time.

I am very new to Robert's Rules of Order and formal meetings.  From what I have gathered, it appears there is not a need for a "second" for nominations for an office position.  So perhaps there is no issue with the Vice-Chair position, if I am reading this correctly.  However, the non-member was the first to support the nomination for Chair. 

What must we do to officially address this situation?  Should a new election or nomination process be held at our next meeting?  Is our process okay since a legitimate member did voice support for each nomination?

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide to me on the matter.

You gather correctly that RONR does not require seconds for nominations. But there is also no mention anywhere in RONR of "a motion for support" for nominations. So I'm afraid you're on your own on this one. Do your rules actually require a motion of support for a nomination, and define what such a motion is?

Nothing in RONR would invalidate the election of the chair because of an error in the nomination process. Assuming the person elected is qualified for the position, the election would stand.

Correct, Hieu, non-members are not eligible for voting and did not vote.

I checked and our by-laws do not require a motion of support.  They simply state that we will conduct all meetings "...in accordance with applicable Federal Law, State Statutes and Regulations, and Robert's Rules of Order".  So it appears that motions of support for nominations were actually not necessary. 

I'll attempt to cut to the chase.

Even if a nonmember were to make a nomination, or to make some other type of motion, the time to object to it is before it is considered by the assembly (see pp. 250-51).  It is a mistake that has to be caught at the time it happened (p. 251 lists exceptions to this).

Since you are new RONR, I would suggest looking a pp. 250-51 and pp. 263-65.  These usually end up being the answer to a sizable proportion of the questions answered here. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.