The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Search Committee for Specific Faculty Position

Guest Vangie

I am the Elections Officer in our Faculty.  I sent a call for nominations for a Search Committee for specific position via email. The nominations runs for 10 days as per our organization's election procedures.  We have no limit on the membership on this committee.  When the nomination is closed, do I run an election or can I announce them elected by acclamation since there is no limit?   

Hi Hieu, Thanks for taking the time to reply. Our Elections Officer is the one who conducts the election, not the Chair.  For most of the committees, the collective agreement requires a secret ballot vote. But for this search committee, it is silent on how it is to be formed. I received 6 nominations, but again there is no limit set in the collective agreement. So I wonder what is the proper way to do? Election by acclamation or secret ballot?

If the bylaws do not require an election by ballot, those nominated can be declared elected by unanimous consent (or acclamation). I prefer using the unanimous consent process, I.e., "John , Jack, Joe, Carol and Sylvester have been nominated. Is there any objection to them being the members of the committee? Hearing no objection, John, Jack, Joe, Carol and Sylvester are elected to the committee". (Or shall be the committee members). 

Guest Vangie appears to be asking us if this committee is to consist of whomever is nominated to serve on it, but the answer to this question must be found in the "collective agreement" referred to, or whatever other documents govern the proceedings of this Faculty. We have no way of knowing.

If, according to this Faculty's governing documents, the committee is to consist of whomever is nominated to serve on it, there should, of course, be no election. The chair (or apparently, in this case, the Elections Officer) simply announces the names of the nominees and declares that the committee consists of those persons.

57 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Apparently the nomination process does not even occur in the context of a proper meeting, so the Election Officer will have to figure out where and when to make this declaration.

We have been told that, "[f]or most of the committees, the collective agreement requires a secret ballot vote." The Elections Officer will, presumably, make this declaration at the time when the result of this secret ballot vote would ordinarily be announced.

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

We have been told that, "[f]or most of the committees, the collective agreement requires a secret ballot vote." The Elections Officer will, presumably, make this declaration at the time when the result of this secret ballot vote would ordinarily be announced.

And that would ordinarily be at the meeting during which the secret ballot vote was held.  Presumably the Elections Officer will make the announcement at the meeting at which the secret ballot vote wasn't held, which is a little less well defined.  :)

9 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

And that would ordinarily be at the meeting during which the secret ballot vote was held.  Presumably the Elections Officer will make the announcement at the meeting at which the secret ballot vote wasn't held, which is a little less well defined.  :)

Who said the ballot vote will ordinarily be held during a meeting?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.