The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording Motiond w/ Amendments in Minutes

Russ1409

How is an amendment to a motion recorded in the minutes? Does the secretary only record the final motion? And if so, does the person who made the amendment become the person making the motion?

Example:

Brian makes the motion that the club spends $500 on new tools. The motion is seconded and during debate Dave moves to amend the motion to allocate $1,000 to buy two sets of tools. The motion to amend is seconded, debated, and passed. The club then passes the motion to buy two sets of tools up to $1,000. 

How is all of this recorded in the minutes? 

Was the second vote really needed? I know we vote to approve amendments, but basically we voted twice on the same subject. If the amendment failed, then I could see going back to a vote on one set of tools for $1,000. 

Thanks,

Russ

3 hours ago, Russ1409 said:

How is an amendment to a motion recorded in the minutes? Does the secretary only record the final motion? And if so, does the person who made the amendment become the person making the motion?

Example:

Brian makes the motion that the club spends $500 on new tools. The motion is seconded and during debate Dave moves to amend the motion to allocate $1,000 to buy two sets of tools. The motion to amend is seconded, debated, and passed. The club then passes the motion to buy two sets of tools up to $1,000. 

How is all of this recorded in the minutes? 

Was the second vote really needed? I know we vote to approve amendments, but basically we voted twice on the same subject. If the amendment failed, then I could see going back to a vote on one set of tools for $1,000. 

Thanks,

Russ

No, you haven't voted twice on the same subject at all.

When you vote on amendments, the subject is, "What should the motion that we're considering actually say?"  

When you vote on the motion, the subject is, "Should the society do what the motion (now) says, or not."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.