The Official RONR Q & A Forums

suspension of majority of Board members

Jhing Sy

8 Board members (out of the 15) have been suspended by the President. As I understand it, the Board has been rendered paralyzed by this act.  However, the President insists that the remaining 7 would still constitute a quorum if you divide it into two which makes it a 3 then add 1 member to become a 4 out of the 7.. to him that constitutes a quorum, Actually, I find it a bit disconcerting that the issue on quorum is interpreted this way. This is the first time this happened to our society hence our bylaws do not have any provision regarding the matter. But I admit, at the risk of sounding inane, I needed to ask the experts here because we fear that the act of the President may render all Board decisions null and void from hereon end. Will appreciate your take on the matter. Thank you.

>> 8 Board members (out of the 15) have been suspended by the President.

Normally, this would be impossible, under the plain application of Robert's Rules of Order.

Q. Do you have rules (constitution or bylaws) which empower your president to unilaterally suspend whomever the president wishes?

If not, then what makes you think the president can suspend anyone?

>> This is the first time this happened to our society hence our bylaws do not have any provision regarding the matter.

All the more reason for me to ask, "If your bylaw have no such provision, then why are you respecting an action taken by your president which is, apparently, null and void?"

I agree, sir. The problem is, those who belong to the President's party are in agreement with him. And those are the remaining 7 Board members. The 8, of course, are going through the process of making their case via a motion for reconsideration (to me, it would have been better not to go that route since that would put legal credence to what the President did; but that's me.) Apparently, the President based his actions on the recommendation of the Ethics Committee who did not allegedly even bother to make a proper investigation of the violations attributed to the 8 Board members. Only 5 of the Board members accepted the Ethics Committee report and affixed their signatures to the Board resolution, which is also a violation of the rules on quorum. I am a mere member, whose opinion is being sought by other members as well.

Based on what we know so far, I'm in agreement with Kim Goldsworthy. By what authority did the president "suspend " the board members? There is no such authority in RONR. Do your bylaws give him that authority? 

As to what the quorum would be if the suspension is valid (something I doubt), I have a question: what EXACTLY do your bylaws say about the quorum of the board? 

10 hours ago, Jhing Sy said:

8 Board members (out of the 15) have been suspended by the President. As I understand it, the Board has been rendered paralyzed by this act.  However, the President insists that the remaining 7 would still constitute a quorum if you divide it into two which makes it a 3 then add 1 member to become a 4 out of the 7.. to him that constitutes a quorum, Actually, I find it a bit disconcerting that the issue on quorum is interpreted this way. This is the first time this happened to our society hence our bylaws do not have any provision regarding the matter. But I admit, at the risk of sounding inane, I needed to ask the experts here because we fear that the act of the President may render all Board decisions null and void from hereon end. Will appreciate your take on the matter. Thank you.

Unless your bylaws grant the President the authority to suspend board members (which I doubt), there are still 15 board members. Any decisions made without a quorum present are null and void.

7 hours ago, Jhing Sy said:

I agree, sir. The problem is, those who belong to the President's party are in agreement with him. And those are the remaining 7 Board members. The 8, of course, are going through the process of making their case via a motion for reconsideration (to me, it would have been better not to go that route since that would put legal credence to what the President did; but that's me.) Apparently, the President based his actions on the recommendation of the Ethics Committee who did not allegedly even bother to make a proper investigation of the violations attributed to the 8 Board members. Only 5 of the Board members accepted the Ethics Committee report and affixed their signatures to the Board resolution, which is also a violation of the rules on quorum. I am a mere member, whose opinion is being sought by other members as well.

I agree that a motion to Reconsider is not the appropriate course of action. One of the board members should instead raise a Point of Order that the chair's suspension of the board members is null and void, followed by an Appeal if necessary.

After that's all settled, disciplinary action for the power mad President seems like the next step.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.