The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Jim Beckner

I am a Board member of a state association, a 501c3.  Is it possible to have my vote on a particular motion recorded in the minutes by name?  For example, if I voted NO on a motion, is there a way to have the minutes reflect something like...Vote was five in favor, four against, with <name> voting against?

If this is possible, how do I ask for this in the meeting?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

5 hours ago, Guest Jim Beckner said:

Is it possible to have my vote on a particular motion recorded in the minutes by name

You can make a motion to that end.

It is a request. The request may be granted, or may be denied.

e.g. "I move that the minutes include that my vote on this issue was negative."

e.g., "I move that the minutes reflect that Kim Goldsworthy voted 'no'."

On 2/16/2017 at 0:45 PM, Guest Jim Beckner said:

I am a Board member of a state association, a 501c3.  Is it possible to have my vote on a particular motion recorded in the minutes by name?  For example, if I voted NO on a motion, is there a way to have the minutes reflect something like...Vote was five in favor, four against, with <name> voting against?

Although it can be done by formal motion as suggested by Mr. Goldsworthy, in my experience, such a request is usually handled simply and quickly by unanimous consent.  Mr. Jones:  "Mr. Chairman, I would like for the minutes to reflect that I voted no.".  The chair:  "If there is no objection, the minutes will reflect that Mr. Jones voted no.".  If there is an objection, then it takes a majority vote to approve the request (adopt the motion).

As Mr. Mervosh pointed out, such a request is usually done only when you request represent a constituency and you want them to know how you voted.  It is also done when, in the opinion of a director, a board has voted to do something which, in the opinion of a director, might expose the directors to liability and there is a state statute that purports to absolve a dissenting director from liability if his dissent or objection is noted in the minutes.  This will vary from state to state.

If the request was not made at the time of the vote, when the minutes are up for approval, a member can move that the draft minutes be amended to reflect that he voted no on the motion.  That can be done by majority vote or by unanimous consent.  It can also be done even after the minutes are approved by using the motion to amend something previously adopted.

Edited by Richard Brown
changed one word in 2nd paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.