The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tie votes in an election

Guest Ron C

I wonder if the next few lines (21-24) are what the OP is looking for, as it seems the scenario envisioned is 1-4 are tied, not just 3-4. 

"Similarly, if some individuals receive a majority but are tied for the lowest position that would elect, all of them also remain as candidates on the next ballot."

It seems 'all of them" may include 1-4. Of course, it may be different if the tie means they all have a plurality of votes only.

3 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

Similarly, if some individuals receive a majority but are tied for the lowest position that would elect, all of them also remain as candidates on the next ballot."

I thought because 1, 2, 3, and 4 are tied for the lowest position that would elect (the 3rd position), "all of them" refers to the "some individuals" who were tied, but not 5 through 9. Is that not correct?

(And yes, assuming 1 through 4 have a majority of votes; if they don't, 1-9 remain as candidates. That's what I thought)

1 hour ago, 1stChurch said:

I thought because 1, 2, 3, and 4 are tied for the lowest position that would elect (the 3rd position), "all of them" refers to the "some individuals" who were tied, but not 5 through 9. Is that not correct?

It is not correct. If candidates 1, 2, 3, and 4 are tied for the lowest position, they remain on the ballot, and so do all of the other candidates. This is the case whether or not they have a majority of the votes cast.

5 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I can't answer for the authors, but the use of the word "also" seems to equate this rule with the preceding sentence, which clearly refers to all candidates. If you are dropping candidates, then you are holding some kind of runoff election.

4 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

It is not correct. If candidates 1, 2, 3, and 4 are tied for the lowest position, they remain on the ballot, and so do all of the other candidates. This is the case whether or not they have a majority of the votes cast.

OK, I see. Thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.