The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Outside of a meeting

Guest bubble4063

The keeping of attendance records.  Our bylaws state the secretary does this.  I know that attendance can be given to someone else if so designated in the by laws.  It was first brought up at a meeting.  A regular member stood up and said that they would be in charge of all attendance moving forward.  I questioned this after the meeting.  I then received an email with a correction, that still needs to be brought up at a meeting, that they got approval from our president (who doesn't remember doing that) to be in charge of keeping all attendance paper work.  It makes it very difficult to keep track of member attendance with out the hard copies.  I"m sorry, I know that this may see small but I am afraid it will turn into bigger things.  I wanted to know if there was a way to fight for this at a meeting and also to fight future meetings of people outside of our regular meeting.  I hope this makes sense.

Yeah... sorta...  RONR has no requirements to keep attendance records so any rules that your group has are up to you, collectively, to interpret.  See page 588 for some hints about how to go about this.  The basic requirement is to raise a point or order (that a rule - yours - isn't being followed properly) but you have to do this at a meeting, then the chair will rule on the point, and you take it from there.

But a question to ask your self is how do you know..."I know that attendance can be given to someone else if so designated in the by laws." and is the secretary designated in the bylaws as the attendance record keeper?  And so forth.

Be sure you have a friend along with you at the meeting in case the chair rules your point "not well taken" and you wish to appeal the ruling.  Review page 247ff as your homework.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.