The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member rights violation

Guest CatsterB

I am on a board of 5 members for a small condo association.  We meet 4 times a year next mtg is in March. I am new to this board.  Our bylaws state we follow RONR.  The board has been conducting business- making motions by email and conference calls.  We have an ongoing issue where i was in the email motion minority of 1 so the motion wouldnt pass.  They called a conference call spec mtg I could not attend where they approved the motion by phone. Since i am the opposing voice minority they also decided they wanted me off the board at this phone mtg.  They wanted a resignation and if i didnt they would take it to the association for a vote. I refused so they called another special meeting by phone with a non adopted agenda that said i could only speak for 3 minutes.  At the meeting the president read a pre mtg statement that accused me of things i did not do and other inaccurate facts.  Each member spoke.  I was given 3 minutes to respond I started to address the inacuracies, was rudely cut off by the president and told i could no longer speak.  The minutes say the meeting was called to determine if we need a special HOA meeting to relieve me of office. Minutes stated that each board member was able to respond which is not true unless a 3 minute response that is cut off is ok.  We were in discussion a motion had not been motion made.                 The motion to move forward with an HOA special meeting to vote me out was made.  They voted and approved it without any debate-as i was no longer allowed to speak. They intend to have a meeting for a vote of the membership which has to be by ballot in 10 days.                     My question is is this motion legal without allowing any debate.      Have my rights per parliamentary procedure been violated?                 Can a board schedule a mtg and membership vote within 10 days?how does this allow for proxies to be mailed and returned in so short a time.  Basically the only people at this special meeting will be these board members which does not seem fair and impartial.                       Any advice on proper procedure to be taken on my end will be appreciated.  I cannot get any of them to second any motion i would make.

I suspect almost all of the answers here will depend on your rules, not on RONR.  What you've described looks nothing like the discipline procedure in RONR (or very little anyway), and is likely based on rules within your organization, as are the answers to questions about notice for meetings, proxies, phone meetings, etc.  I would recommend consulting with a PRP or CPP in your area as we're unlikely to be much help on questions involving an in-depth understanding of your organization's rules.

2 hours ago, Godelfan said:

I would recommend consulting with a PRP or CPP in your area as we're unlikely to be much help on questions involving an in-depth understanding of your organization's rules.

Guest Catster, a PRP is a Professional Registered Parliamentarian with NAP (The National Association of Parliamentarians).  A CPP is a Certified Professional Parliamentarian with AIP (American Institute of Parliamentarians).  Here is contact information on both groups.  They both have referral services.

National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP)
213 South Main St.
Independence, MO  64050-3850
Phone: 888-627-2929
e-mail: hq@NAP2.org  
www.parliamentarians.org

American Institute of Parliamentarians (AIP)
618 Church Street, Ste 220
Nashville, TN 37219
Phone: 888-664-0428
e-mail: aip@aipparl.org
www.aipparl.org

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.