The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Codifying duties of officers beyond those in the bylaws

mjhmjh

2 hours ago, Guest Nancy N said:

(I should also mention that I'm pretty sure that there is a statement somewhere in RONR that ~"the officers's duties include whatever the organization tells them to do"~ -- which might put paid to my objections-cum-bafflement, which in turn, alas would eventuate my first quarrel with Mr. Gerber -- but I can't find it now.  Citations welcome, and solicited, please. 

Is this the Nancy way of recalling things such as the sentence on page 456, lines 25-28?  :)

Normally, I'd argue that the By-laws should contain the additional duties if for no other reason than the fact that the By-laws may be harder to change.   However, based on what the posts from the questioner would suggest, the By-laws of the organization may allow for standing rules to be used.  At least that would be my position if asked.

20 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Is this the Nancy way of recalling things such as the sentence on page 456, lines 25-28?  :)

Nope, I was thinking of something else this time.  Really -- that somewhere, and not obscurely (such as maybe hidden in Section 41, the bete noir of aspiring parliamentarians like me) the book says that the officers do whatever the organization orders (i.e., with a main motion, and pretty much as a p. 18 Standing Rule).

23 minutes ago, mjhmjh said:

That sentence only seems to apply to the president, not all of the officers. Or am I missing something...

Oh, I think you can read it as saying that, in many organized societies, the officers have duties of an administrative nature, but these are outside the scope of parliamentary law, and they have such authority only insofar as the bylaws provide it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.