The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can President decide not to have any committees?

Guest Barbara Brunetti

Guest Barbara Brunetti

I'm on the board of a small condo assoc.  The President has decided that he will due away with all committees (other than the Budget Committee) and the board will now act as a whole, with everything going by the entire board.  This was done to minimize two board members that won't just rubber stamp what the President does.  Consequently, nothing is being achieved and everything is deferred to the General Manager.  Can he go from one year having committees to no committees the next year?

18 minutes ago, Guest Barbara Brunetti said:

Can he go from one year having committees to no committees the next year?

It all depends on what the By-laws state about Committees (if anything.)  Failing that, check for any motions that created the Committees  I doubt the President can simply get rid of the Committees unless the By-laws state something along the lines of "The President may choose to have Committees." 

Now if the By-laws (or an applicable motion) calls for the President to "appoint members to Committees" then the Board could pass a motion ordering the President to fill the Committees.  Failing that the Board could read Chapter XX of RONR (or the By-law regarding discipline if one exists) to see about disciplining the President. 

I suppose the general membership (i.e. the owners in this situation), if they meet more than once a year, could also do what I have suggested the Board do.  However, based on my experience with condominiums, the Board and not the owners, will hold most (if not all) the power between owners' meetings, which may only occur once or twice a year.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.