The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of bylaws revision

Tom Coronite

I am looking at "Giving notice of amendments" on page 596, especially lines 27-31.

In our case a complete revision will be contemplated. Does "the notice should fairly inform the members of the changes contemplated" mean the entire revision should be published with the call of the special meeting? 

Tom, I want to thank you and congratulate you on "coming out of the closet" as Joshua Katz (formerly Godelfan) did yesterday, and posting using your real name. Like Mr. Honemann, I have more respect for those regular posters who post using their real names rather than hiding behind pseudonyms.  Like Joshua, your posts are thoughtful, helpful, and well written.  You should be proud of them!  Own them!

To other regular posters who post using a pseudonym, I hope that you, too, will come out of the shadows and into the sunshine and start posting using your real names.  I understand why someone who is new or a guest and is asking questions pertaining to his own organization might want to post a question now and then using a fictitious name.   I see nothing wrong with that and most of us have probably done it as a guest on occasion.  But, when members start posting and answering questions on a regular basis, I think it adds credibility to their answers and makes the forum more professional when they come out of the shadows and into the sunshine and use their real names.  

Here's hoping that you and Joshua Katz have started a trend!

BTW, if you don't want people to wonder,  "Who is this "new" Tom Coronite", who we have never seen before but has 402 post to his credit?", I think you can, at least temporarily, change your name to "Tom Coronite, aka 1st Church"  or "Tom Coronite, formerly 1st Church" to help us out. 

I tried to find where to put "formerly 1stChurch" or something like that, as Mr. Mervosh has Professional Registered Parliamentarian two posts up. Couldn't find it. I used the former moniker not in any way to hide, just as a fitting message board name. I felt kind of bad when I saw that wasn't encouraged, so I figured what the heck. :-)

Tom, click on your own name at the top of the screen.   Go into "Edit Profile" (or some words to that effect) and add "formerly 1st Church" or whatever you want in the TITLE field.  That's what I just did to get "Grand Poo-Bah to show up" when I post.  I also added to other fields, but the title field seems to be the only one that shows when you make posts.

9 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

I don't see title anywhere in the edit profile section. Oh well.

birthday, interests, location, about me. That's all that's there.

I'll try walking you through it.  It might be easier on a computer than on a cell phone or tablet....

1.  click on your name at the top of any forum page.

2.  Click on "profile".

3. Click on "Edit profile"

4. In the field for "Member Title", fill in whatever you want, such as "formerly 1st Church".

5. Then save the changes.

16 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

No member title there under edit profile. You don't believe me? ;-)

image.png

Hmmm.  Beats me. Maybe this discussion, or at least this question, should be pursued on the "Questions about the forum" section. I certainly have the "Member title" field when editing my profile.

Tom, just for kicks, try accessing your profile and making the change from a different computer and/or with a different web browser.  Try re-booting your computer, too.   Use a computer, not a smartphone.  Sometimes you don't see all available fields on a website with a smartphone and possibly even with a tablet.

The "Member Title" field should  be directly above the birthday field when you are in "Edit Profile"  mode..  btw, for some reason, when I just view my profile when not in edit mode, the "Member Title" field appears as "Rank".   What the forum means by "rank" beats me!

• 1 year later...

@Tom Coronite said

On 3/3/2017 at 3:35 PM, Tom Coronite said:

No member title there under edit profile.

I had the same problem. It seems the settings for this forum only allowed you a member title after reaching a certain number of posts (5000, I recall). Administrator SG changed that so it should work for you, too, now.

I recognize that this is an old thread, but wanted you to know.

Assuming the current bylaws require previous notice of a motion to amend them, the rule at RONR (11th ed.), pp. 121-124, applies, and the full text of the motion or resolution must be sent along with the call of the special meeting, in the same way that previous notice of a motion or resolution would be read in full if it were given in a meeting.

It will be sufficient that the call, itself, of the special meeting give an accurate, but brief, description of the matter.

Tom, congratulation on revealing yourself. 

On 3/3/2017 at 2:23 PM, George Mervosh said:

It's actually the "Member Title" part of editing your profile, and Richard, don't expect J.J. to change after all these years. :)

George, I'm cited in both court papers and a book as "J.J."  I'm starting to think J. J. is my real name. ;)

On 12/20/2018 at 8:59 AM, Atul Kapur said:

@Tom Coronite said

I had the same problem. It seems the settings for this forum only allowed you a member title after reaching a certain number of posts (5000, I recall). Administrator SG changed that so it should work for you, too, now.

I recognize that this is an old thread, but wanted you to know.

Thank you!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.