The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to enter what was discussed into the minutes?

mjhmjh

Per RONR section 54 (page 553), I'm having the "First Organizational Meeting" of an organization I'm forming. This section mentions that following a presentation by the person most interested in forming the society, there should be a casual discussion about the purpose and structure of the society. Is there a motion to have the secretary pro tem summarize this discussion in the minutes? I realize that minutes are not usually for this purpose, but I think an exception is appropriate in this case.

9 minutes ago, mjhmjh said:

Per RONR section 54 (page 553), I'm having the "First Organizational Meeting" of an organization I'm forming. This section mentions that following a presentation by the person most interested in forming the society, there should be a casual discussion about the purpose and structure of the society. Is there a motion to have the secretary pro tem summarize this discussion in the minutes? I realize that minutes are not usually for this purpose, but I think an exception is appropriate in this case.

Any such motion would be a main motion.

And, at the next (organizational) meeting, be prepared for a chorus of "But that's not what I said, or meant..." type of remarks when the minutes are up for adoption.

Perhaps by that meeting, the bylaws committee will have done its job and the "purpose and structure" debates can, as they should, center on the words of the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.