The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to start a bylaw change

Guest Don

My organization has a very simple process for bylaw changes which I understand but don't know how to get started. It is also does not say who can and cannot submit a bylaw change but the bylaws do state that the club is ultimately run by its members and can override the board.  So I am told any member can submit a bylaw change

Our bylaws simply state:

A bylaw change has to be reviewed by the board to verify that it does not conflict with another bylaw,  Federal / State laws or our incorporation.  

A bylaw change must be mailed to all members.  

A bylaw change must be read at 3 consecutive meetings before a vote can be held.

A bylaw change requires 2/3 majority vote to pass.

So how does one start the process?

Do I need to present it at a meeting and then submit it to the board. Do I need to have a motion and 2nd at a meeting. Or do I just submit it to the board. Or none of these?

Thanks for the help

52 minutes ago, Guest Don said:

Our bylaws simply state:

A bylaw change has to be reviewed by the board to verify that it does not conflict with another bylaw,

We really don't know how your process works but it seems likely any member can offer an amendment, but how, exactly, remains unanswered by this not so simple process.  i am curious about the part I quoted back.  So if you don't like what's in, let's say, Article IV, Section 1, you can't submit an amendment to it because it would conflict with the current passage?  That's just not how it's done in the world of RONR. 

Because of your customized rule about proposed bylaw changes having to be reviewed by the board, your organization will have to determine for itself exactly how to deal with that provision. 

I believe a bylaw change can be submitted by any member, but your organization has to determine when, how and by whom it goes before the board for its review and whether the board can stop a proposed change or merely render an advisory opinion to the membership.

In the past the board has made a statement that there are no conflicts and sends the proposed change out, 3 meetings later there is a vote. 

Our club just had a revision of a bylaw but that came from the board. I am not on the board but would like to make an additional requirement to an existing bylaw. Just need to know how to get started because this is not specified in the bylaws. The bylaws state if it is not in the bylaws we follow Roberts Rules

5 hours ago, Guest Don said:

S0.) The bylaws do state that the club is ultimately run by its members, and can override the board.

S1.) So how does one start the process?

S2.) Do I need to present it at a meeting and then submit it to the board?

S3.) Do I need to have a motion and 2nd at a meeting?

S4.) Or do I just submit it to the board?

S5.) Or none of these?

S6.) A bylaw change has to be reviewed by the board to verify that it does not conflict with another bylaw,  Federal / State laws or our incorporation.

S7.) A bylaw change must be read at 3 consecutive meetings before a vote can be held.

Based on your statements S0 and S1, it appears that the best starting point is found in statements S2 and S3.

• In a meeting of the general membership, submit in writing your proposed amendment.

• After it is seconded, two things ought to happen automatically:

(a.) your proposal will be forwarded to your board, for the sake of fulfilling S6.

(b.) your proposal will be put on the agenda, three times, for the sake of fulfilling S7.

I am assuming that your board doesn't screw up (by forgetting to do S6).

I am assuming your chair and/or secretary doesn't mess up (by forgetting to do S7).

Just because you started your part correctly, that does not imply the the bodies and people impinging on your method of amendment process won't fail on their own tasks and duties. -- Deliberately, or accidentally. -- Keep on them. Keep your buddies on them. Beware of the Lazy Officer (who puts no effort into his job.)

That is one way of getting started.

You could theoretically flip a few steps, and still be in compliance with your highly-customized method of amendment. -- But let's keep it simple.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.