Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Delaying election by proviso


mjhmjh
 Share

Recommended Posts

RONR states that immediately following the passage of the bylaws, the election of officers takes place. Could the bylaws be passed with the proviso that elections not take place until the following meeting, and that the temporary officers elected to guide the creation of the organization continue in that capacity until such a time?

Also, if the bylaws state that regular meetings must be scheduled by resolution at least 21 days in advance, would we have to wait 3 weeks between the meeting where the bylaws are passed and the following meeting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I'm also thinking the same. You hit the nail on the subject IMHO.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:59 AM, jstackpo said:

Well, yes exceptions can be made, sorta.  As you adopt the initial bylaws adopt another proviso stating that for the first election there is some other more convenient waiting period.    If those bylaws have already been adopted, then you should follow what they say, as HHH said.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 3/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, mjhmjh said:

 . . . .Also, if the bylaws state that regular meetings must be scheduled by resolution at least 21 days in advance, would we have to wait 3 weeks between the meeting where the bylaws are passed and the following meeting?

I just realized that although the most recent post was made this morning, this thread was actually started March 12 by mjhmjh.  However, the statement above about regular meetings needing to be scheduled by resolution concerns me enough that I want to comment on it.

I hope there is some other way to schedule regular meetings and I hope there is a way to call special meetings.  If not, this organization may find itself without any means of scheduling a regular meeting if, for example, it adjourns a regular meeting without having set the date for the next meeting or if a meeting is canceled due to bad weather.   Perhaps the board has the authority to schedule meetings of the membership. 

mjhmjh, if you are still around, I would appreciate it if you would try to clear this up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2017 at 10:57 AM, Richard Brown said:

 

I just realized that although the most recent post was made this morning, this thread was actually started March 12 by mjhmjh.  However, the statement above about regular meetings needing to be scheduled by resolution concerns me enough that I want to comment on it.

I hope there is some other way to schedule regular meetings and I hope there is a way to call special meetings.  If not, this organization may find itself without any means of scheduling a regular meeting if, for example, it adjourns a regular meeting without having set the date for the next meeting or if a meeting is canceled due to bad weather.   Perhaps the board has the authority to schedule meetings of the membership. 

mjhmjh, if you are still around, I would appreciate it if you would try to clear this up.

The bylaws address this. I've added the relevant sections of the meeting article for your reading. Outside of this article, the executive board has the power to "adjust the hour and place of meetings." Annotations are bolded and in brackets

ARTICLE VI — Meetings

Section 1. Regular Meetings. The regular meetings of the Council shall be held at least once per month, excluding the months of June and July, as scheduled by resolution at least 21 days in advance. Upon the passage of such a resolution, the Secretary shall immediately distribute it to as much of the membership as is possible. A Rotarian shall be present at all regular meetings of the Council [requirement by higher organization]. If no future meetings are scheduled by resolution, the Council shall meet at the call of the Governor [equivalent to president] or highest-ranking officer.

Section 3. Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the Council, Governor, or Executive Board and shall be called upon the written request of 10% of the membership. The purpose of the meeting shall be included in the call, which shall be sent to as much of the membership as is possible at least three days before the meeting. No business shall be transacted at a special meeting except that mentioned in the call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2017 at 9:20 PM, mjhmjh said:

 

Why do you mention this?  Is this your first meeting, or are you looking at nuances with respect to memorizing The Book to be ready for your RP test, like I?

(I'm giving up on this substantive question; but I'd please appreciate feedback on the Note Bene, below.  Sure, it's ultra vires, but I hazard no more than was my breezily chatting about dating supermodels in a thread about suspending bylaws.  You all remember that one..)

___________

Nota bene for my fellow nerds: is "like I" proper, since it's short for "as I am"?

(O, let's not shut down the Internet on this.  -- at least without Dr Seabold looking in, to see how well we're dong wi)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Guest Nancy N, said:

Why do you mention this?  Is this your first meeting, or are you looking at nuances with respect to memorizing The Book to be ready for your RP test, like I?

(I'm giving up on this substantive question; but I'd please appreciate feedback on the Note Bene, below.  Sure, it's ultra vires, but I hazard no more than was my breezily chatting about dating supermodels in a thread about suspending bylaws.  You all remember that one..)

___________

Nota bene for my fellow nerds: is "like I" proper, since it's short for "as I am"?

(O, let's not shut down the Internet on this.  -- at least without Dr Seabold looking in, to see how well we're dong wi)

Mention what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...