The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Comprehensive check list for annual meeting

Guest D. Llama

Apart from all the valuable info in RONR is anyone aware of the availability of a comprehensive check list for a typical AGM - of say 500 persons .Starting from Planning and  Notice and moving to lights out .  If so I would be obliged to hear from one or all - in that respect . Thank-you .

D.Llama

Thank-you KG - yes indeed a room is surely  needed unless its to be an outside summer meeting under a sound tarp !

A thorough check list  may assist the Board in   arranging  all meeting  matters -well in advance - from security to form of ballots . When the organization is  by volunteer Board  and inexperienced in such matters -  it will serve them well to be as prepared as possible . And although some things may not be "parliamentarian  duties" - a Board  may look to the parliamanatarian for general planning advice . 

D.Llama 

This would be very difficult to compose generically, since every organization is different. We have such a checklist for the semiannual meetings of the organization I serve as my primary employment. It includes things like the gavel and moderator's cross (it's a Presbyterian Church entity), name badges for members, blank ballots for any ordered ballot vote that might occur, check in lists for credentialing, and on and on. But I think you just have to develop such a list based on an organization and its needs/traditions.

Appreciated Greg W ., and that seems the way to go . By google of this subject ( " check list for annual meeting " ) I have identified  at this point  several  check list  suggestions and models . Nothing earth shaking - but nevertheless useful for crafting one up for this assembly- as a go forward model .

Thanks.

D.Llama

It wouldn't hurt to carefully read Section 59 of RONR.  Even though your meeting may not be a convention of delegates, a lot what's in that section may be useful for a large annual meeting such as yours (and ones smaller than yours as well).  Might I also suggest you register as a member here (preferably under your real name but that's not required)?  Others may be willing to share things via the messaging system here and they cannot do that as long as you remain a guest.  

A further comment on going on  the Form- George  - pro/con using real name .

Several moths ago I was asked to provide an opinion on a subject for a client . i went on the forum and had a very useful and enriched discussion. It confirmed things for me but also added more to my understanding of the subject  .Entirely unknown to me one of the Board members - a novice to parliamentary procedure ,had gone on the forum before me and had had  a discussion of the  same subject  two weeks before- earlier stream. it was purely  accident that I saw this because I checked early streams by a concerning the on same topic . Which I rarely do .In this instance  all turned   fine and it was even useful for me to see that the Board member had done this- as the Board was in camps on this topic and sharply divided. 

Had this gone the other way- had I been  first on the forum , and the member had observed my very candid  discussions  and observations  under my own name - this could have caused me difficulty and possibly embarrassment . And although the chances  of this are slight - that a client board member would do so - I am persuaded to continue on under a pseudonym . Its just a safer and best way to go and have the benefit of such expert advice and informed  counsel. 

BEST Regards 

D.llama 

26 minutes ago, Guest D. Llama said:

A further comment on going on  the Form- George  - pro/con using real name .

But George's comment about signing up as a member still applies -- only members can receive direct messages from others on the system.

When you sign up as a member, all you are asked for is a "Display Name" and an email address. So far as I know, there is no legal requirement to provide your real name, and the email address that you use is visible only to the staff, not to other members.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.