The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Prefacing Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn with a Statement

parkourninja

If a member moved to reconsider and enter in the minutes in a dilatory manner, can a member preface moving to fix the time to which to adjourn with the justification that they are doing so to rectify what they feel is a dilatory use of the motion to reconsider and enter in the minutes since the present meeting attendance Is not unrepresentative of the overall assembly?
In other words, can the individual offer a statement explaining their motion before they actual move it?

4 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

If your parliamentary authority is RONR, then you may gain the floor for one purpose and then do something else, such as speaking in debate and then making a motion.  

But the motion to reconsider and enter in the minutes is not debatable and assume no other business was pending, therefore debate in general would not be allowed.

Well, fix the time to which to adjourn is privileged if another motion is pending, and adjourn is debatable if the assembly is set to adjourn at a fixed time, so you could move to adjourn at a specific time, then move to adjourn prior to that, then speak in debate on that motion and move to set the time to which to adjourn.  Or you could just raise a point of order that the motion to reconsider and enter is being abused in a dilatory fashion.

4 hours ago, parkourninja said:
If a member moved to reconsider and enter in the minutes in a dilatory manner, can a member preface moving to fix the time to which to adjourn with the justification that they are doing so to rectify what they feel is a dilatory use of the motion to reconsider and enter in the minutes since the present meeting attendance Is not unrepresentative of the overall assembly?
In other words, can the individual offer a statement explaining their motion before they actual move it?

You're referring to this passage, it seems - "If an actual minority in a representative meeting makes improper use of this motion by moving to reconsider and enter on the minutes a vote which requires action before the next regular meeting, the remedy is to fix the time for an adjourned meeting (9, 22) on another suitable day when the reconsideration can be called up and disposed of. In such a case, the mere making of a motion to set an adjourned meeting would likely cause withdrawal of the motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes, since its object would be defeated. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 335

Given your posting I'd suggest saying all of that prior to making the motion is improper.  Since it's likely the motion will be made when no other business is pending you should just save it for debate, assuming that the motion to reconsider and enter on the minutes is not withdrawn..

Edited by George Mervosh

3 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

You're referring to this passage, it seems - "If an actual minority in a representative meeting makes improper use of this motion by moving to reconsider and enter on the minutes a vote which requires action before the next regular meeting, the remedy is to fix the time for an adjourned meeting (9, 22) on another suitable day when the reconsideration can be called up and disposed of. In such a case, the mere making of a motion to set an adjourned meeting would likely cause withdrawal of the motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes, since its object would be defeated. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 335

Given your posting I'd suggest saying all of that prior to making the motion is improper.  Since it's likely the motion will be made when no other business is pending you should just save it for debate, assuming that the motion to reconsider and enter on the minutes is not withdrawn..

Good point. However, as a general rule, would the member be able to make such a statement as I have described where the motion to fix the time to which to adjourn privileged and there was other business pending.

6 minutes ago, parkourninja said:

Good point. However, as a general rule, would the member be able to make such a statement as I have described where the motion to fix the time to which to adjourn privileged and there was other business pending.

In my opinion, no.  I think what you want to do does go beyond prefacing a motion with a few words.  You're advocating for it's adoption and providing the reasoning.  I think that stretches the rule too far.  

Edited by George Mervosh
Edited last sentence.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.