The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does a president need a formal return after motioning?

Guest Melissa

Nothing formal would be required.  The Minutes might reflect that the President handed the Chair over to the Vice Presidet, and then mention after the motion is dealt with that the President returned to the Chair.  Then again, if you are using the relaxed rules for a small Board (under 13 members), then the Chairman/President can make motions, enter into debate, vote, etc. just like any other meeting.

1 hour ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

One possibility: The member who raises a point of order may not understand (or appreciate) "unanimous consent".

The member may prefer a formal motion, and a formal vote.

And a formal motion is still in order. -- No one is forced to submit to unanimous consent.

Agreed, but what action are we seeking unanimous consent for?  Why is any action required for the chair to resume their position after voluntarily stepping away, if they are returning after the matter on which they made a motion or spoke has been disposed of?

I don't understand what the problem is. The regular presiding officer, whoever that is, has the right to return to the chair once the matter that he was participating in has been disposed of. No one's permission is necessary and no motion is necessary. He is entitled to the chair as a matter of right.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

I don't understand what the problem is. The regular presiding officer, whoever that is, has the right to return to the chair once the matter that he was participating in has been disposed of. No one's permission is necessary and no motion is necessary. He is entitled to the chair as a matter of right.

This is what I thought, which is why I am trying to make sense of the comments about points of order and unanimous consent.

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Neither do I.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.