The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reporting Member/Committee Chair Presiding

Guest Matt Hughes

A couple of months ago, I stumbled across a passage in Robert's Rules regarding how a reporting member/committee chair could not preside over debate of a committee's report. However, I can no longer said passage in Robert's Rules. Did I imagine it? If not, where would I find it in Robert's?

51 minutes ago, Guest Matt Hughes said:

A couple of months ago, I stumbled across a passage in Robert's Rules regarding how a reporting member/committee chair could not preside over debate of a committee's report. However, I can no longer said passage in Robert's Rules. Did I imagine it? If not, where would I find it in Robert's?

"The practice in some organizations of permitting the chairman of a committee to preside over the assembly or put questions to vote during the presentation and consideration of the committee's report violates numerous principles of parliamentary law relating to the chair's appearance of impartiality and the inappropriateness of his entering into debate, not to speak of the regular presiding officer's duty to preside (see pp. 448–49). "   (RONR, 11th ed., p. 453)

Daniel, thanks for the quote.  It made me think though: I wonder how often people assume that the person making the reportshould preside for that portion of the meeting out of not understanding RONR ad the role of the presiding officer.  As the Chairman normally sits in a position to see everyoe in the room, it can appear that he/she is the one 'running' the meeting and is the one who is supposed to 'respond' to questions which would not usually be the case.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.