The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Extend time for consideration of pending question

Laura Meade

My questions refer to TP #40, which is "Extend time for consideration of pending question, or time until announced or scheduled adjournment or recess".  It is classified as an incidental motion that is not debatable or amendable, among other characteristics.  

Is it only an incidental motion with no debate or amendment if the privileged motion "Call for orders of the day" is pending or if there is a set time on the agenda for its consideration?  

If there is a set time on the agenda for consideration, is the debatable and amendable subsidiary motion to Extend the Limits of Debate then not in order?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Libran said:

My questions refer to TP #40, which is "Extend time for consideration of pending question, or time until announced or scheduled adjournment or recess".  It is classified as an incidental motion that is not debatable or amendable, among other characteristics.  

Is it only an incidental motion with no debate or amendment if the privileged motion "Call for orders of the day" is pending or if there is a set time on the agenda for its consideration?  

If there is a set time on the agenda for consideration, is the debatable and amendable subsidiary motion to Extend the Limits of Debate then not in order?

Thanks.

What is TP #40?.   I would not call incidental when applied to a debatable motion.

Also, a Call For the Orders of the Day would end debate of the motion, at least temporarily. 

Even if there was a time set for a motion, Extend the Limits of Debate could be adopted, as  it would effectively suspend the rules.  Note that an order of the day can be set aside by a 2/3 vote

I would note a motion extending, or reducing, the length of debate would be an incidental main motion.

Tinted Pages, motion #40.  It sort of discusses it on p. 223, ll. 22-29, under the Call for Orders of the Day motion.  I initially thought the subsidiary Extend Limits of Debate would apply to any pending main motion, but this makes it seem like even if the privileged motion Call for the Orders of the Day was not pending, the chair would have to treat it like Suspend the Rules to extend the time for consideration (hence, not allowing debate or amendment on the motion to extend debate).  Do I understand that right?   And at the end of that time, is the main motion then able to be referred or postponed, since the motion to Extend was an incidental motion, or must the main motion be voted on immediately, like with the subsidiary motion?  

Would the subsidiary motion to Extend Debate ever be allowed if there is a set time on the agenda for consideration of a motion?  

1 hour ago, Libran said:

Thanks.

The motion to which you refer is applicable only when the orders of the day are called for or announced, and its adoption effects a change in the prescribed order of business (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 222-223). The subsidiary motion to Extend Limits of Debate (which, by the way, is not debatable) does no such thing. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.