The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conventions and electronic meetings

Guest GLS

RONR 11 ed pp 97-99:

"Except as authorized in the bylaws, the business of an organization or board can be validly transacted only at a regular or properly called meeting—that is, as defined on pages 81–82, a single official gathering in one room or area—of the assembly of its members at which a quorum is present."

Could anyone help me determine:

1) Whether this ("organization or board") applies to a convention of delegates as defined later in the text
2) Whether a convention's Committee on Standing Rules could permit electronic meeting if it is not provided (or disallowed) by the bylaws, or whether other special rules of order pertaining to this being a "special meeting" (a special convention) might do the same

1 hour ago, Guest GLS said:

RONR 11 ed pp 97-99:

"Except as authorized in the bylaws, the business of an organization or board can be validly transacted only at a regular or properly called meeting—that is, as defined on pages 81–82, a single official gathering in one room or area—of the assembly of its members at which a quorum is present."

Could anyone help me determine:

1) Whether this ("organization or board") applies to a convention of delegates as defined later in the text

Yes.

1 hour ago, Guest GLS said:

2) Whether a convention's Committee on Standing Rules could permit electronic meeting if it is not provided (or disallowed) by the bylaws, or whether other special rules of order pertaining to this being a "special meeting" (a special convention) might do the same

In my opinion, no. 

In RONR, this is one of those things that must be in the bylaws (p. 97).  Also see the footnote on p. 16. 

On 8/31/2017 at 0:25 AM, Gary c Tesser said:

Are these "yes"'s and "no"'s in agreement, or not?

On 8/31/2017 at 5:15 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Yes.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:59 AM, J. J. said:

Well, I agree with HHH's answer.

Well I thing I better rejoin the NAP and the AIP and thereby find out why I don't get it.  (Me and that alleged Tesser person)

On 8/30/2017 at 6:56 PM, J. J. said:

In my opinion, no. 

In RONR, this is one of those things that must be in the bylaws (p. 97).  Also see the footnote on p. 16. 

On 8/31/2017 at 11:59 AM, J. J. said:

Well, I agree with HHH's answer.

OK, then, why, please? -- given, to resolve, then,  the apparent inconsistency?

1 hour ago, Guest Nancy N. said:

Well I thing I better rejoin the NAP and the AIP and thereby find out why I don't get it.  (Me and that alleged Tesser person)

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

What makes you thing that'll help?  :)

Reading between the lines, Mr. H, might we conclude that you will not likely be at the NAP convention next week?  :)

31 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Reading between the lines, Mr. H, might we conclude that you will not likely be at the NAP convention next week?  :)

No, I won't be at the NAP convention, but I meant nothing more by my response to Nancy other than the fact that being a member of NAP isn't apt to assist in recognizing that, when answers are given to entirely different questions, answering "yes" to one and "no" to the other does not necessarily give rise to an inconsistency.

Besides, I liked that "thing" bit.  :)

22 hours ago, Guest Nancy N. said:

OK, then, why, please? -- given, to resolve, then,  the apparent inconsistency?

HHH answered this question:

"1) Whether this ("organization or board") applies to a convention of delegates as defined later in the text "

"This" refers to the passage requiring electronic meetings to be authorized in the bylaws.  HHH correctly stated the rule would apply to a convention delegates.

The second question was:

"Whether a convention's Committee on Standing Rules could permit electronic meeting if it is not provided (or disallowed) by the bylaws, or whether other special rules of order pertaining to this being a "special meeting" (a special convention) might do the same."

Completely consistent with HHH's question, I answered that question as "no."   You could not circumvent the statement in RONR that says electronic meetings had to be authorized in the bylaws, even if you would put that in convention standing rules.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.