The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Resigns

Guest NT1997

The president of a non Profit resigned. Bylaws say the VP takes over. The VP declines the upgrade to President. All other positions are appointed by the board of resignation occurs per the bylaws. What is supposed to happen in this situation?  My thought process is that it should be a vote of the members of the organization to fill the vacant President spot. I know that this has probably already been posted, but please supply where I can see this is Robert's Rules. 

Under RONR, the vice president becomes president when the presidency becomes vacant.  If he doesn't want the job, he will have to resign (though he may be elected to the vice presidency afterward).  Your board may fill the position of vice president, who will then become president automatically.  At this point you would need to fill the vacancy in the office of vice president. 

Thanks for the reply!  New info.... board was a panel of 4... P, VP, S, Treasurer. P, S, T resign at the same time. That leaves VP to take P and resign, essentially leaving no board at all. Our members are irate because they had no say in who has filled these spots. I never realized this got this complicated. Lol! 

1 hour ago, Guest NT1997 said:

Thanks for the reply!  New info.... board was a panel of 4... P, VP, S, Treasurer. P, S, T resign at the same time. That leaves VP to take P and resign, essentially leaving no board at all. Our members are irate because they had no say in who has filled these spots. I never realized this got this complicated. Lol! 

The vice president cam become president long enough to appoint a new board and then resign. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.