The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President as chair automatically

Leo

"The presiding officer of an assembly ordinarily is called the chairman* when no special title has been assigned, or in a body not permanently organized, such as a mass meeting (53). In organized societies the presiding officer's title is usually prescribed by the bylaws, that of president being most common."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 448

Thanks George.

I found those but I was looking for something that specifically indicates the president is the presiding officer unless the bylaws assign that duty to another position or person.

My concern is that the "ordinarily is" and the "usually prescribed" doesn't specifically require the president to be the presiding officer.

Guest Zev may have Official Interpretation 2006-2 in mind, and my guess is that he (or she?) didn't mean to imply that election of a president pro tempore is also a requirement.

In any event, I think Mr. Novosielski has it right. The duty to preside is inherent in the title. No need to say so. It's a given, as they say.  :)

An association's bylaws listed a series of duties of the chair without indicating the chair was in fact the president.

Some members were of the opinion that this meant someone else was the chair because the rules did not specifically state that it was the president's duty to carry out those presiding duties.

9 minutes ago, Leo said:

An association's bylaws listed a series of duties of the chair without indicating the chair was in fact the president.

Some members were of the opinion that this meant someone else was the chair because the rules did not specifically state that it was the president's duty to carry out those presiding duties.

Well what did the bylaws say that the chair was the chair of?

28 minutes ago, Leo said:

Someone else who was apparently ALSO not specified in the bylaws? Wow. SMH...

Thank you Mr. H for the clarification.

A president has certain administrative duties which are carried outside the context of a meeting. He cannot be deprived of these without being impeached. No temporary president can assume these duties. Duties that have a significance only in the context of a meeting, as far as I can tell, can be exercised by any presiding officer, president or not. Someone correct me if I have overstated this. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.