Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Steve Lee

Resignation

Recommended Posts

Does the following section apply to employees?

ACTIONS THAT CANNOT BE RESCINDED OR AMENDED. The motions to Rescind and to Amend Something Previously Adopted are not in order under the following circumstances:
    a)    When it has previously been moved to reconsider the vote on the main motion, and the question can be reached by calling up the motion to Reconsider (37).
   B)  When something has been done, as a result of the vote on the main motion, that is impossible to undo. (The unexecuted part of an order, however, can be rescinded or amended.)
    c)    When a resignation has been acted upon, or a person has been elected to or expelled from membership or office, and the person was present or has been officially notified of the action. (The only way to reverse an expulsion is to follow whatever procedure is prescribed by the bylaws for admission or reinstatement. For the case of an election, see pp. 653–54 regarding removal of a person from office.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steve Lee said:

Does the following section apply to employees?

ACTIONS THAT CANNOT BE RESCINDED OR AMENDED. The motions to Rescind and to Amend Something Previously Adopted are not in order under the following circumstances:
    a)    When it has previously been moved to reconsider the vote on the main motion, and the question can be reached by calling up the motion to Reconsider (37).
   B)  When something has been done, as a result of the vote on the main motion, that is impossible to undo. (The unexecuted part of an order, however, can be rescinded or amended.)
    c)    When a resignation has been acted upon, or a person has been elected to or expelled from membership or office, and the person was present or has been officially notified of the action. (The only way to reverse an expulsion is to follow whatever procedure is prescribed by the bylaws for admission or reinstatement. For the case of an election, see pp. 653–54 regarding removal of a person from office.)

Could you please clarify what the situation is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yes, certainly. An employee of our nonprofit organization gave her resignation a while back. Her resignation was accepted by the board of directors. Subsequently, she offered to rescind her resignation and continue in her job past the original termination date.

The passage above was used as a rationale for not accepting her letter of recension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Whoever hired her before could hire her again.

This.  There is no prohibition in RONR against rehiring the person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Steve Lee said:

 Yes, certainly. An employee of our nonprofit organization gave her resignation a while back. Her resignation was accepted by the board of directors. Subsequently, she offered to rescind her resignation and continue in her job past the original termination date.

The passage above was used as a rationale for not accepting her letter of recension.

I think it is correct that the board may not rescind the resignation after it has been accepted - not because of the bolded passage, but because it is an action which is impossible to undo. Nonetheless, the board is free to rehire this person if it wishes to to so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, Steve Lee said:

 Yes, certainly. An employee of our nonprofit organization gave her resignation a while back. Her resignation was accepted by the board of directors. Subsequently, she offered to rescind her resignation and continue in her job past the original termination date.

The passage above was used as a rationale for not accepting her letter of recension.

I agree with Josh.  Even if not a member, the situation is governed by paragraph b, rather than paragraph c.

Once an action has been completed--and acceptance of a resignation is only one example--it is no longer subject to amendment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MMM

I'm not sure which topic to put this under, but it has to do with resignation, so here goes.

We have a small club and four of our members stormed out of the meeting after the results of our officer elections for 2020 were read. Three of which were on the Executive Committee. Two sent in their resignation letters immediately following the event. However, the third will not respond to attempted communications to find out whether or not they have resigned. Now this just happened yesterday, so not much time has passed. What is the proper procedure to resolve this? As the secretary of the club, should I be sending a letter in the mail and waiting some specified amount of time for a response before considering the person resigned? Our Bylaws do not have anything written regarding AWOL Board members.

Thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ask that you post new questions as a new thread, rather than adding to others. Please do so, and please do it under General rather than Advanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MMM

Well, the situation is resolved. The person finally responded and sent in their resignation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest MMM said:

Well, the situation is resolved. The person finally responded and sent in their resignation.

If all you have are letters of resignation, nothing is resolved.  Those resignations must be accepted by the body authorized to do so before they are official.  I'd make sure that is tended to quickly before one (or all) of them changes their mind.   http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...