The Official RONR Q & A Forums

DEBATE DURING PROPOSED BY-LAW CHANGE

Guest JPOW

If they are not members of the body that is deliberating, they could be given permission per the cited reference.

But, if by "non voting member" you mean a member of the body that is deliberating, but for whatever reason your group eliminates their right to vote (as we see many times in forum scenarios) that is likely a bylaws interpretation question.

JPOW, are you referring to members (who are not allowed to vote) of the body debating the proposal? 

10 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Ah, my early morning eyes skipped over the word "voting", and I read the question as about non-members, so Tom C's question is appropriate.

Well, if they were to suspend the rules to permit non voting members to speak, those nonmembers could speak, even if the bylaws clearly give them the right to speak.  The assembly could interpret the bylaws in a way that nonvoting members could not speak (majority vote) and suspend the rules to permit it (2/3 vote).

I would be interested on if the nonvoting members have been speaking in debate of other questions.  That would be an indicator on how they have interpreted the bylaws.

42 minutes ago, J. J. said:

Well, if they were to suspend the rules to permit non voting members to speak, those nonmembers could speak, even if the bylaws clearly give them the right to speak.  The assembly could interpret the bylaws in a way that nonvoting members could not vote (majority vote) and suspend the rules to permit it (2/3 vote).

I would be interested on if the nonvoting members have been speaking in debate of other questions.  That would be an indicator on how they have interpreted the bylaws.

(Emphasis added)

JJ, are you saying, in the bolded portion above, that if an organization has non-voting members (and the bylaws say that those members may not vote), that by a two thirds vote those non-voting members may be allowed to vote?

5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

JJ, are you saying, in the bolded portion above, that if an organization has non-voting members (and the bylaws say that those members may not vote), that by a two thirds vote those non-voting members may be allowed to vote?

Sorry, I made the edit.  It should have said "speak" not "vote." 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.