The Official RONR Q & A Forums

validity of nomination

Guest Nargaret

We recently had a call for nominations for election of our board of directors.  A formal nomination form is completed by all nominators.   One member completed the nomination form and at that time his membership was  current.  However, by the time the call for nominations was closed, his membership had  lapsed.  Does his nomination stand? 

...However it sounds like the "member" in question is making the nomination not being nominated. 

36 minutes ago, Guest Nargaret said:

A formal nomination form is completed by all nominators.   One member completed the nomination form and at that time his membership was  current...

That being said I still agree that this is a matter of interpreting those pesky rules.

35 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If a member makes a nomination, the person is nominated.  If the maker subsequently becomes a non-member, the nomination is still valid.

I'll go a bit further, if this is in a meeting context.  If someone not eligible to make a nomination for a position, still makes one, the person he nominated is eligible hold that position, and there is no timely point of order, it is still a valid nomination. 

Chair:  Nominations for the Assistant Deputy Grand Nagus are open.

Nonmenber:  I nominate Stan Smith.

Chair:  Stan Smith is nominated.

Member A:  I nominate Hank Hill.

Chair:  Hank Hill is nominated.

Member C:  I nominate  Peter Griffin.

Member B:  Point of order!  Mr. Nonmember is ineligible to make nominations.

Chair:  The point of order was not timely and Stan Smith has been nominated.  Peter Griffin is nominated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.