The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Accept in Entirety

Guest JIrwin

2 minutes ago, Guest JIrwin said:

Can a motion be made to accept a document in it's entirety, and if so, if the motion receives a 2nd and is passed by vote would that void further Motions for Amendment?

It is possible to adopt a motion without debate or amendment,  yes.

"When the object is to adopt a motion without debate or amendment, the form is: 
MEMBER A (obtaining the floor): I move to suspend the rules and adopt [or "agree to"] the following resolution: "Resolved, That ..." (Second.) 
If such a motion does not receive the required two-thirds vote, the main motion can be taken up only in the normal way." 
RONR (11th ed.), pp. 266-267

3 hours ago, Guest JIrwin said:

Can a motion be made to accept a document in it's entirety, and if so, if the motion receives a 2nd and is passed by vote would that void further Motions for Amendment?

If a motion to accept a report in its entirety is adopted, what has been adopted cannot thereafter be amended except by the adoption of a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. See Section 35 of RONR, 11th ed., for details.

Well, if the meeting was still going on someone who voted for the motion could move to reconsider if he/she was of a mind to.

But, somehow, I suspect that Guest JIrwin's meeting has long since adjourned so, as DHH tells us, the motion to amend something previously adopted is the remaining recourse. 

I hate to think what was in that document that was adopted "in it's entirety".  (I hope the voters all read it before adopting it!)

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

I wonder if JIrwin is actually asking about stopping amendments to a document which is already on the floor for adoption. In this case, one could move the Previous Question on all pending questions, which, if carried by a two-thirds vote, will force an immediate vote(s).

8 hours ago, Guest JIrwin said:

When you say "further" motions for amendment, it sounds as though there already have been some.  If that's the case, then the way to cut off further debate (and amendment) would be a to move the Previous Question (), which requires a second, a two-thirds vote, and if passed brings the main motion, as amended, to an immediate vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.