The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Clarity on notice to Rescind a Motion

Guest Mathew Spencer

Guest Mathew Spencer

I'm trying to determine if a 2/3 majority vote is needed to rescind a motion or just a simple majority vote is needed.

background

a motion was made. 9 months later a notice was mention for 2 weeks in the weekly bulletin prior to the date of the meeting was to be held to either affirm or rescind the motion from 9 months earlier. (I know a vote to affirm a passed motion is invalid) my question is, if a motion is not properly worded in the announcement ie not worded as the original motion but just referred too as the motion from January in regards to topic X. would that still count as being sufficient "notice" to reduce from a 2/3 majority to a simple majority in order to properly rescind the motion. This does not have any weight barring on Constitution or by-laws.

I have a problem with the ballot that is to be used as it is clearly against Roberts Rules. A generic ballot is shown below like the one to be used. The words affirm and rescind do appear as shown below with a description following on the ballot to be used.

__ affirm motion from January in regards to topic X: followed by what happens if you choose

__ Rescind motion from January in regards to topic X: followed by what happens if you choose

(no mention of the motion just labeling it like in the weekly bulletins prior to the meeting.)

All help is appreciated. Thanks

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws and rules, but in my opinion the notice in the weekly bulletin does not comply with the previous notice required by RONR in order to reduce the vote requirement to a majority vote to rescind something previously adopted. 

I also have a problem with the wording of the "motion". It should call only for a yes or no vote on motion to rescind the earlier motion. 

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

The notice may be valid if it conveys exactly the motion to be considered, but the motion itself is probably out of order for vagueness unless the members could reasonably be expected to know precisely what "the motion from January in regards to topic X" means. Further, a ballot is not required unless such method is adopted by the assembled members or mandated by the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.