The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amend postponement to a date certain

Guest RKG

Yes. A motion can be made to suspend the rules and take up the postponed item immediately.  Such a motion requires a two thirds vote for adoption (or it can be adopted by unanimous consent).  See the bottom of page 184.

Here is the applicable language:  " If it is desired to reach an item immediately but it falls at a later point in the regular order of business, the assembly, by a two-thirds vote or by unanimous consent (pp. 54–56), can adopt either a motion to "suspend the rules and take up" the desired question, or a motion "to pass" one or more items [page 185] or classes of subjects in the order of business. After a question taken up out of its proper order by either of these methods has been disposed of, the regular order of business is resumed at the point where it was left off (see motion to Suspend the Rules, 25)."

Edited by Richard Brown
Added text from page 184-185

3 hours ago, Guest RKG said:

Any advice out there for changing a postponement to a time certain.  Need to take up the action sooner than postponed to.  I am not seeing an avenue to do that in Robert's Rules.

I'm assuming that the original postponement was to the next regular meeting, sometime in the future, but it turns our that the issue should be dealt with sooner that that.  

Seems to me to be proper to call a special meeting (to be held before the next regular meeting) with it made crystal clear in the special meeting notice that the purpose of the meeting will be to suspend the rules and take up the issue at that meeting.  It will require a 2/3 vote to suspend and take up...

If the association's bylaws do not authorize calling special meetings, it seems to me that you are stuck.

Correct and we may wish to address at a meeting already scheduled between now and the date it was postponed to.   We are subject to open meetings so I guess the plan would be to put a motion to suspend the rules and the action item that needs to be addressed all on the agenda for consideration at the next meeting.

1 minute ago, Guest RKG said:

Correct and we may wish to address at a meeting already scheduled between now and the date it was postponed to.   We are subject to open meetings so I guess the plan would be to put a motion to suspend the rules and the action item that needs to be addressed all on the agenda for consideration at the next meeting.

It was postponed to a time too far and in my opinion can be taken up at the next meeting (assuming it is within a quarterly time interval of when it was postponed) without any motion to suspend the rules, but you must also follow whatever notice requirements you have.

See http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_8

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.