The Official RONR Q & A Forums

dismissal of old board

Guest BobM

Following an election in a local chapter, I was asked whether the old board should be dissolved. My reply was that in light of the new officers accepting each position and being voted into office, there is no need to "dismiss" the old board  because the term of the new officers starts immediately. Is that line of thought correct?

According to RONR, elections take effect upon the end of the election (unless the winner is not present, in which case when they learn of their election).  Your rules may be customized, though, to allow for a different start date.  However, I have no idea what is meant by dissolving or dismissing the old board - certainly the organization doesn't have the choice of just ignoring the election results by failing to take some action.  

On 10/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, Guest BobM said:

Following an election in a local chapter, I was asked whether the old board should be dissolved. My reply was that in light of the new officers accepting each position and being voted into office, there is no need to "dismiss" the old board  because the term of the new officers starts immediately. Is that line of thought correct?

Yes, you're correct.  The odd notion of dismissing or dissolving the "old" board is not supported by anything in RONR.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.