The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidents refusal to sign contract

Guest ITEHA

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
22 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Is the Vice President willing to sign it?

What if the bylaws say "the President shall execute all contracts"? Then I think you are looking at a disciplinary situation, preferably leading to removal of the president.

I think it depends why the President is unwilling to sign.  In 1990, Boudouin, King of the Belgians felt he could not morally sign a bill legalizing abortion so he effectively abdicated for 24 hours so his Cabinet could sign it.  Perhaps something similar could be done here where the President Requests to be Excused from Duty for a limited time so the Vice-President can sign the contract.

6 hours ago, Guest ITEHA said:

A motion had been past by majority vote to hire a new Janitorial service.The President is refusing to sign the contract for the new company for personal reasons,What can be done?

Do your rules require that the President sign all contracts? If so, get a new President. See FAQ #20.

If not, have someone else (such as the Vice President) sign the contract. Then get a new President.

3 hours ago, SaintCad said:

I think it depends why the President is unwilling to sign.  In 1990, Boudouin, King of the Belgians felt he could not morally sign a bill legalizing abortion so he effectively abdicated for 24 hours so his Cabinet could sign it.  Perhaps something similar could be done here where the President Requests to be Excused from Duty for a limited time so the Vice-President can sign the contract.

Okay, but this is a contract for janitorial services, and this is an elected officer, not a hereditary monarch, so I’m leaning toward discipline.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

What if the bylaws say "the President shall execute all contracts"? Then I think you are looking at a disciplinary situation, preferably leading to removal of the president.

I agree.  But what if the bylaws also say that the VP "shall assume the duties of the president when president is unable or unwilling to act"?

16 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I have never seen bylaws that excuse the President for "unwillingness."

Well, in fairness, if the chair would refuse to call a meeting to order, the vice president could act.  That would be within the meeting context, however.

I'd go with disciplinary action.

2 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I have never seen bylaws that excuse the President for "unwillingness."

I have.  I may even have written them, but I'm not sure.  I don't interpret this as excusing the President in the least.  If his duty is to execute all contracts, and he is unwilling, then the VP may, but I believe the president would still be rightfully subject to discipline.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.