The Official RONR Q & A Forums

closed session/executive session?

Prdmry

7 hours ago, Prdmry said:

What is the difference between a closed session and an executive session?

6 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Terminology alone.

I don't think it's quite that simple.  A closed session can and often does mean simply that only members may attend the meeting , but the proceedings are not secret in the sense that they are in an executive session.  I agree that the terms are often used interchangeably, but they really do not mean exactly the same thing.

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I don't think it's quite that simple.  A closed session can and often does mean simply that only members may attend the meeting , but the proceedings are not secret in the sense that they are in an executive session.  I agree that the terms are often used interchangeably, but they really do not mean exactly the same thing.

Even the book thinks it's that simple sometimes (pp. 229-230 emphasis added by me)

"Member Y, sensing that consideration of this question should be kept within the organization, interrupts Member X's speech on the pending resolution by rising "to a question of privilege relating to the assembly." As directed by the president, he states the question of privilege: 

MEMBER Y: Mr. President, I believe this is a question we should consider in a closed meeting. With apologies to our guests, I move that the open portion of this meeting be declared ended and that our guests be excused. (Second.) 

CHAIR: The chair rules that the question is one of privilege to be entertained immediately. It is moved and seconded that [stating the question on the motion to go into executive session]. 

Edited by George Mervosh
no big reason

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.