Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarians - Duel


Guest Huang Po
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

The Board of an organization has  hired a professional parliamentarian . Several members ( the "K" group ) of the organization consider they need independent advice from their own "K" group   parliamentarian .Are members permitted to do as much (?) and since the Board has hired a parliamentarian and has that parliamentarian  scheduled for attendance at  a planned meeting- are the members likewise entitled to have their parliamentarian present  ? The bylaws say the meeting is for members  only- but the Board has invited their  parliamentarian to attend - so why not the  "K" group members - as well ? Whats "sauce for the goose" ?  Who gets to say in the end ? And is it ethical for a parliamentarian to take on work for "k" group -  when she knows that the Board has hired a parliamentarian ? 

 

Thanks

 

Huang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Obliged for the above - its a Meeting of the members - but can you respond to all questions posed .Is it allowed for members to have their own iof Board has  an expert . Is  it ethical of a parliamentarian to allow hire if she knows the Board has hired a parliamentarian  etc.   . Thanks 

 

Huang 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Guest Huang Po said:

The Board of an organization has  hired a professional parliamentarian . Several members ( the "K" group ) of the organization consider they need independent advice from their own "K" group   parliamentarian .Are members permitted to do as much (?)

Yes. A professional parliamentarian is a consultant on parliamentary procedure. A group of members is free to hire its own consultant at its own expense. Such an assignment is commonly referred to as a “floor parliamentarian.”

44 minutes ago, Guest Huang Po said:

and since the Board has hired a parliamentarian and has that parliamentarian  scheduled for attendance at  a planned meeting- are the members likewise entitled to have their parliamentarian present  ? The bylaws say the meeting is for members  only- but the Board has invited their  parliamentarian to attend - so why not the  "K" group members - as well ? Whats "sauce for the goose" ?  Who gets to say in the end ?

No, they are not entitled to have their parliamentarian present, and neither is the board. It sounds like this is a meeting of the membership, so the membership ultimately decides, by majority vote, what non-members (if any) may be present.

44 minutes ago, Guest Huang Po said:

And is it ethical for a parliamentarian to take on work for "k" group -  when she knows that the Board has hired a parliamentarian ?

Yes.

Edited by Josh Martin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks -  this very helpful  Josh . Do you have any additional info on the limits that a "floor parliamentarian" may consider - within scope of  "floor parliamentarian duty" ?. is there any writing /articles on this ?  I do not see anything in RONR - are there other sources - do you know ?

 

Much Obliged 

 

HP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Guest Huang Po said:

Thanks -  this very helpful  Josh . Do you have any additional info on the limits that a "floor parliamentarian" may consider - within scope of  "floor parliamentarian duty" ?. is there any writing /articles on this ?  I do not see anything in RONR - are there other sources - do you know ?

 

Much Obliged 

 

HP

Yes, "The Art of the Coup d'Etat, Parliamentary Journal, October 2002 and "Combat Parliamentarians," Parliamentary Journal, January 1976.  

Parliamentary Journal is published by the American Institute of Parliamentarians.  You might contact the editor.

 

Edited by J. J.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, J. J. said:

Yes, "The Art of the Coup d'Etat, Parliamentary Journal, October 2002 and "Combat Parliamentarians," Parliamentary Journal, January 1976.  

Parliamentary Journal is published by the American Institute of Parliamentarians.  You might contact the editor.

 

Just to note that "The Art of the Coup d'Etat" is actually in October 2005 issue of Parliamentary Journal, v. XLVI, No. 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...