The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspension of rules

Guest Dennis Ward

In the 2011 official edition of Roberts Rules of Order has the rule speaking to suspension of the rules changed.  For importantly, has the rule changed that parliamentary issues and issues dealing with item needing a vote changed?  It is my understanding that these rules cannot be suspended even by a majority vote.

31 minutes ago, Guest Dennis Ward said:

In the 2011 official edition of Roberts Rules of Order has the rule speaking to suspension of the rules changed.

To the best of my knowledge, the rules on this subject have not changed in any significant way.

32 minutes ago, Guest Dennis Ward said:

For importantly, has the rule changed that parliamentary issues and issues dealing with item needing a vote changed? 

I don’t understand exactly what you mean by this. Could you please elaborate on this question?

1 hour ago, Guest Dennis Ward said:

In the 2011 official edition of Roberts Rules of Order has the rule speaking to suspension of the rules changed.  For importantly, has the rule changed that parliamentary issues and issues dealing with item needing a vote changed?  It is my understanding that these rules cannot be suspended even by a majority vote.

Since at least 1915, RONR has taken a 2/3 vote to suspend the rules, if the rule deals with the transaction of business in meetings or with the duties of the officers in that regard.  These are called "special rules of order." I'm not certain if that is a direct quote, but you find the description of this on p. 17.

A rule that relates to the administration of the society, is called a standing rule.  If the rule has some function within the context of the meeting, it could suspended, during the meeting, by a majority vote (p. 18).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.