The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer Report from School Principal

Guest SarahBray

Hi!

During a PTA meeting, our agenda includes a report from the school Principal.  During his report he asks the group for ideas and input on different topics (no recommendation or motion is made).  This can, at times lead to a large chunk of time devoted to accomplishing, well... nothing except brainstorming.

How as the chair of the meeting do I cut this short, in an effort to keep meeting short and concise?

Assuming you aren't using small board rules, simply remind the group (ahead of the problem) that debate is out of order without a motion pending, and that, when reports are made, you'll be entertaining requests for information and motions, not out of order discussion.  Alternatively, you can adopt an agenda limiting the time for such reports.

This sounds to me like a problem that should be dealt with in ways other than through parliamentary maneuvers. I would suggest that you sit down with the principal and discuss the matter - perhaps including ways to obtain "ideas and input" from parents other than taking up time in PTA meetings.

Or move the Principal's Report to the end of the meeting.  Then once the report is given (and any business arising out of it taken care of), you can formally adjourn the meeting and the Principal can stay behind with any owners who are interested in having an informal discussion.  But at least you know that any business required has been taken care of.

It is not at all in order for an officer, when making his report, to ask the assembled members for their ideas and input on different topics. I agree that it would be best to first attempt to resolve this problem outside of the meeting context, but if these efforts fail it is the duty of the presiding officer to put an end to such conduct by interrupting and reminding the officer that asking questions of the assembly as a part of his report is not in order. Reports of officers are made for the information of the assembly, not for the information of the reporting officer.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

It is not at all in order for an officer, when making his report, to ask the assembled members for their ideas and input on different topics. I agree that it would be best to first attempt to resolve this problem outside of the meeting context, but if these efforts fail it is the duty of the presiding officer to put an end to such conduct by interrupting and reminding the officer that asking questions of the assembly as a part of his report is not in order. Reports of officers are made for the information of the assembly, not for the information of the reporting officer.

Would it be appropriate for the officer to use their report to solicit feedback later like "Email me if you have any ideas for fundraisers for the new gym." and leave it at that?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.