The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Acclamation by 2/3 majority voice vote

Jon G

I encountered a recent situation which totally scrambled my understanding of "acclamation."  A slate of candidates had been selected by the chair (and possibly a small committee) for inclusion as voting members of a governing body.  Other member of that body were notified of these candidates and their credentials ahead of time, but when the time came to discuss their appointment/election, the chair moved to suspend the rules to adopt the slate "by acclamation," which was clearly against the will of a dozen or so members of that organization.  One such member was given the floor to ask a procedural question about "acclamation."  The Parliamentarian conferred that "acclamation" according to the rules being followed at that time by that organization, required only a 2/3 majority voice vote.  

From everything I have been able to research, under Roberts rules "acclamation" means "unanimous consent," and when there is not unanimous consent a discussion must follow along with standard voting procedures.  Consequently there was allowed no discussion of the candidates, and a majority voice vote carried.  The election of the slate concluded in a matter of minutes. 

Is this experience unique, or are others familiar with "acclamation" as a 2/3 majority voice vote sans debate.  Thoughts?   

8 hours ago, Jon G said:

I encountered a recent situation which totally scrambled my understanding of "acclamation."  A slate of candidates had been selected by the chair (and possibly a small committee) for inclusion as voting members of a governing body.  Other member of that body were notified of these candidates and their credentials ahead of time, but when the time came to discuss their appointment/election, the chair moved to suspend the rules to adopt the slate "by acclamation," which was clearly against the will of a dozen or so members of that organization.  One such member was given the floor to ask a procedural question about "acclamation."  The Parliamentarian conferred that "acclamation" according to the rules being followed at that time by that organization, required only a 2/3 majority voice vote.  

From everything I have been able to research, under Roberts rules "acclamation" means "unanimous consent," and when there is not unanimous consent a discussion must follow along with standard voting procedures.  Consequently there was allowed no discussion of the candidates, and a majority voice vote carried.  The election of the slate concluded in a matter of minutes. 

Is this experience unique, or are others familiar with "acclamation" as a 2/3 majority voice vote sans debate.  Thoughts?   

Well, "acclamation" isn't the right word to use for it, but a motion can be made to suspend the rules and agree to (whatever), as described on page 262, lines 6-8, of RONR (11th ed.), and so I suppose a motion could be made to suspend the rules and agree to the inclusion of (list of names) as voting members of the (whatever the name of this governing body is). A rising vote, however, is the normal method of voting on motions requiring a two-thirds vote for their adoption.

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Well, "acclamation" isn't the right word to use for it, but a motion can be made to suspend the rules and agree to (whatever), as described on page 262, lines 6-8, of RONR (11th ed.), and so I suppose a motion could be made to suspend the rules and agree to the inclusion of (list of names) as voting members of the (whatever the name of this governing body is). A rising vote, however, is the normal method of voting on motions requiring a two-thirds vote for their adoption.

I agree, provide that the bylaws do not require a ballot vote for the election of these positions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.