The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing election procedure

Jayadev

At present in our  not for profit organization constitution and bylaws it is stated as

"An Annual Meeting of the HTGC General Body shall be held on the first Sunday of December of every calendar year, . Four new trustees shall be elected to serve for the following four (4) years at this meeting and the results of the elections shall be announced at this meeting."

My question is if we want to introduce early voting for the convenience of those members who  can not  attend the General body meeting day  do we need to amend the above article? or is it okay if we just add a new bylaw  about the early voting?

Thanks in advance

Jay

9 hours ago, jay said:

At present in our  not for profit organization constitution and bylaws it is stated as

"An Annual Meeting of the HTGC General Body shall be held on the first Sunday of December of every calendar year, . Four new trustees shall be elected to serve for the following four (4) years at this meeting and the results of the elections shall be announced at this meeting."

My question is if we want to introduce early voting for the convenience of those members who  can not  attend the General body meeting day  do we need to amend the above article? or is it okay if we just add a new bylaw  about the early voting?

Either would work, but I would strongly advise against this. Combining absentee votes and votes at a meeting tends to lead to problems. It would be preferable to either leave it as is, or amend the bylaws so that all members vote prior to the meeting.

Thank you for your replies. Also majority  of  members just want to vote for their  candidates and go , they do not want to stay.To  accommodate this since 12 years voting for election of Trustees started earlier  on the same meeting day even before quorum was confirmed or  any formal meeting was started . In this case is election is valid which was taken place with out a quorum ? 

The general body can certainly establish the hours that the polls will be open, and those hours do not have to coincide with the meeting time. That decision will have to be made at a meeting, however, although perhaps, depending on the structure of your organization, your board could set those hours at a board meeting if the general body only meets infrequently.

Note, though, that the announcement of the election results will need to be done at a general body meeting with a quorum present, unless your rules provide otherwise, or you adopt a special rule of order allowing the results to be posted outside of a meeting.

edited to add:  If you choose to have voting take place outside of meeting hours, you will need to use written ballots only.

Edited by Bruce Lages

On 11/18/2017 at 10:40 AM, Josh Martin said:

Either would work, but I would strongly advise against this. Combining absentee votes and votes at a meeting tends to lead to problems. It would be preferable to either leave it as is, or amend the bylaws so that all members vote prior to the meeting.

It would be possible to have the ballots cast at the meeting, and at a polling time afterward.

I would note that the rules Bruce Lages cited would apply in that situation as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.