The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes NOT taken in meeting

Larrysalazar

There was a meeting that occurred. the minutes were taken by a recorder. After the meeting the recorder was missing and never found.

Question: if there were no minutes of the meeting then my assumption is that the meeting did not occur, am I correct?

At a later meeting I informed the committee the above fact. I informed them that if they redo the two motions that were made then they could be enforced. 1st motion was made and passed however the second motion was made with no second or vote.

Question: does the second motion become non existent, even though it is claimed that the original meeting the motion was passed?

Question: if no minutes are taken at a meeting is it assumed that the meeting did not occur?

Thank you 

28 minutes ago, Larrysalazar said:

Question: if there were no minutes of the meeting then my assumption is that the meeting did not occur, am I correct?

No, minutes are a record of what was done, but they aren't the cause of its being done.  The meeting still occurred, and if a recording has been lost, an effort should be made to create minutes.  Most secretaries (I'm not sure if this was done here) take notes during the meeting, and use a recording only as an adjunct for things that are unclear, etc.

30 minutes ago, Larrysalazar said:

Question: does the second motion become non existent, even though it is claimed that the original meeting the motion was passed?

No, even if this motion hadn't already been passed (which, it seems, it was) a motion with no second is still valid.  I don't know what "no vote" means, but if the chair erroneously declares a motion adopted, and no point of order is raised, the motion is adopted.

31 minutes ago, Larrysalazar said:

At a later meeting I informed the committee the above fact. I informed them that if they redo the two motions that were made then they could be enforced. 1st motion was made and passed however the second motion was made with no second or vote.

It is important to note that parliamentary procedure is not a bunch of thoughtless formalisms, but a set of rules for the conduct of business.  There is no reason to require a body to go through the charade of doing what it has already done simply because a recorder was lost.  

33 minutes ago, Larrysalazar said:

Question: if no minutes are taken at a meeting is it assumed that the meeting did not occur?

No.

To follow up on the last post (immediately above) by Mr. Katz, the recording is not the minutes. It is not necessary to have a recording in order to have minutes. The minutes are a written record of what was done at the meeting. The recording is merely a device that can be used to help produce accurate minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.