The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Presidential" Nominations

Guest Larry

Thank you for the prompt reply! Ok, I get it. If the president is a member of the body, he/she can nominate other individuals for office. I have two follow up questions. 1) How does the president officially nominate someone. Does he/she say, "The chair nominates Susan Smith for the office of treasurer?" and 2) Does nominating individuals for office make the president appear to be partial rather than impartial? 

If this is an assembly of more than about a dozen or so people, the president - assuming he is chairing the meeting - should not be making nominations, even though it is his right as a member to do so.  I think the answer to your second question is yes, it would create an appearance of impartiality, which is why he should refrain. Relative to your first question, if the president really does want to nominate someone (and can't convince someone else to make the nomination), he should turn over the chair to the vice president, make his nomination, and not return to the chair until the nomination process is completed. I can't see any circumstances where a statement such as "the chair nominates..." would be appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask because I'm the president/moderator of a non-profit organization. Our bylaws state that members will nominate and elect officers at the annual meeting. No one nominated anyone for the necessary positions, but these positions need to be filled per our bylaws. If no other member nominated anyone, is it then still inappropriate for the moderator (who is also a member) to nominate candidates for office?

4 hours ago, Guest Guest Larry said:

I ask because I'm the president/moderator of a non-profit organization. Our bylaws state that members will nominate and elect officers at the annual meeting. No one nominated anyone for the necessary positions, but these positions need to be filled per our bylaws. If no other member nominated anyone, is it then still inappropriate for the moderator (who is also a member) to nominate candidates for office?

I would say that with the lack of nomination to have a vote by ballot and whoever wins, wins.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.